Chapter 24: Time Will Tell

Ever have a moment when you're laughing but you don't know why you're laughing because the situation was actually very serious and tense- yeah- that was me. I looked into Jaxon's big emerald and eyes and started chuckling. Kill myself? Was he crazy? Never once, had I ever entertained that thought. There had definitely been times in the past when I wished I could have traded places with a person in a dire situation, like Cam or Dmitri or even Alix but not because I was suicidal. I just wanted to save my loved ones.

"Caddie!" Jaxon yelled. He snapped out of his retrieve and glowered at me. Now, that was a completely warranted response.

"H-how," I clutched my stomach as a slew of cackles slipped through my lips. Taking a deep breath, I put my hands on my knees and gave him a level stare. "I'm sorry guys, that was inappropriate but honestly can you just think about what you said! Kill myself! I would never!"

"How do we know that?" Aleksander snapped.

I took in his disheveled appearance. His tanned skin had turned a sickly green color, he kept clenching and I clenching his fist as his bottom lip trembled. I took a step towards him, my hand subconsciously reached for his but he recoiled away from me at the last second.

"Aleksander?" I tested the waters, putting one foot in at a time.

He spun away from me. The anger and hurt, I felt boiling within him caused a strange pain to erupt in my chest. Reaching out once again, I grabbed his hand and turned him back around. He looked absolutely livid. A fire was blazing behind his sparkling blue eyes, his jaw tense and lips were set in a firm line. I wanted to calm him down, as easily as he was able to calm me but all I was able to do was stare hopelessly and pray he relaxed. Before I could blink, Aleksander had my face in between his hands. His lips descended upon mine- I tried to resist but I couldn't help but succumb to my inner most desires as he dominated my mouth. My brain was left a scattered mess as his lips disappeared from mine and left a scorching trail of kisses down my neck.

"You are not dying!" His tone left no room for argument.

"I didn't plan on," I protested.

His eyes flickered to mine, there was something dangerous about his stare that made me lose my breath. Placing a pale hand on the side of his face, I lifted his head and placed a chaste kiss on the tip of his nose. He grabbed me by the skirt of my dress, pulling me as close to him as the petticoats would allow. Thank god for lace, I thought airily. At least in the black lace gown, no wrinkles would show when he was done manhandling me. There would be no proof of our little spat.

"Alek chill," Jaxon warned. He stepped up to us, and put a hand on Aleksander's shoulder. After a moment of staring, Aleksander released me slowly, finger by finger until I was free.

"I-I'm gonna- uh," I cleared my throat, looking away from the two boys. "I'm gonna go for a walk. Clear my head."

Alelsander made a move as to follow me but I shook my head. "I'm gonna go for a walk, alone."

I left without another word. The nurses were standing on the other side of the curtain, pretending as if they had no idea what had just transpired between the three of us but I knew better. In the summers, when I would visit Aunt Heidi at Castle Böse the maids would always scurry along, keeping their eyes glued to the ground but their ears were always listening for information. Eavesdropping seemed to a special talent for the help. So, when the nurses offered me a polite smile I scoffed and stomped out the door.

"There you are," An extremely familiar voice purred as I stepped away from the infirmary.

I froze- it was my first instinct. I was silently praying that he was like a snake, and couldn't see me if I didn't move. But from the sound of his heavy footsteps against the marble floor, it was clear that he knew I was still there. My other instinct was to run. It would be so easy, to just slip away in the crowd of students but what would that achieve? Roberto would only become suspicious of my intentions, more than he already was. So, I forced myself to stand tall with my head high in the air as he circled around me like a predator stalking its prey.