Chapter 19: We Shall See

Caddie's POV:

A bloodcurdling scream erupted from my best friend, breaking the silence that had settled over us. I couldn't see anything. The place I had teleported us to was dark and smelled like dirt and mildew. The smell was awfully familiar but I was too busy scrambling towards Alix's writhing body to put the pieces together.

"Alix!" I yelled.

Grabbing her thrashing arms, I tried to hold her still but she was ruthless. Without trying, she kicked me in the stomach, sending me flying into one of the boys. A low groan came from the person under me. I knew it was Jaxon. He and Aleksander had very different voices. Alek's voice was lower, with a deep timber, like a man trapped in a teenage boy whereas Jaxon's voice slightly higher but had more warmth within it. He pulled me into a sitting position once he had regained his wits and we both cautiously inched next to Alix.

"What happened?" Aleksander asked, appearing by my side.

"I have no idea she just started screaming. Jaxon grab her arms, we need to calm her down."

"You want me to grab her?" His voice was thick with worry. "She's acting like the freaking Tasmanian devil and you want me to grab her?"

"That's what I said!"

Jaxon sighed but I think he agreed- I couldn't actually see whether or not he was holding her down. Her screams were muffled, they turned into hysterical cries and pitiful whimpering. The heartbreaking noises were driving me crazy. She couldn't be hurt! She was Alix, strong, sassy and incredibly durable. Nothing could break her and yet there she was, lying on the ground howling in pain. A sense of of need arose within me. I needed her to be alright. Cam, Dmitri, my mom, and half the world could die- but if I lost Alix what was my life? She was my first friend and in many senses, still my only real friend.

"Alek, calm her down, take the pain away-make her pass out- I don't know just make it better!"

"Caddie you need to-"

"Don't you dare tell me to calm down!" I snapped, "Help me!"

"Caddie, love, I need you to calm down or else I can't concentrate," Aleksander reminded me gently.

He ran his hands from my shoulders down to my hands. Threading his fingers through mine, I felt his power take effect not only in Alix but in me. Alix's whimpers quieted until, I could only hear light snores coming from her mouth. I leaned back in Aleksander's embrace and closed my eyes for second. I wanted to fall asleep, it had been such a long day but Alix still needed help, putting her to sleep wouldn't stop whatever was hurting her.

"What do you think happened?" Aleksander asked.

"Probably the rats," I murmured, "Let's get her to the infirmary."

"Yeah," Jaxon agreed, "Let's do that but first can you please tell us Caddie where you teleported us to?"

Looking around the at the complete darkness, I placed my hands on the ground and felt the dirt floor. That was why it smelled so familiar. Once again, my subconscious had taken us the dungeons. But why? What could possibly be in a series of dingy, disgusting tunnels that kept me coming back.

"The dungeons," Aleksander whispered while standing up. "Why did you teleport us to the dungeons.

I gathered Alix in my arms, hugging her close to my body. If she were awake, she would know exactly what to do. Alix always had a solution.

"I'm not sure," I told Aleksander honestly, "When I was trying to escape you guys, I accidentally teleported here as well."

Both Jaxon and Aleksander froze at the mention of what had happened earlier. I still had yet to forgive them. They had been complete assholes. If I didn't want to get involved then I didn't have to. It was a free country after all.