Chapter 4: Déjà Vu

Recap:

"Something's wrong," Alix said, "Where's all the people?"

I agreed wholeheartedly. Seconds before the swirling black mist wrapped around our bodies, a horde of people had been standing beside Nox Haven's rubble. The was gone now and so were the people. I couldn't see a single person in sight. To make matters stranger, it wasn't raining. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping- it was like nothing bad had ever happened to the place.

"There's a girl," Jaxon pointed.

Sitting on the front steps of the school, with an apple in her hand and book balanced on her knees was pint-sized young woman. Her large skirt was sprawled across the steps. Even though the heat was stagnant, similar to the summers in Virginia, she wore a long sleeved turtle-neck and boots. She looked like a woman from a Jane Eyre novel.

"I'm not sure I want to speak with her," Alix said ominously.

"Why not?" Aleksander asked. "We need to know what happened?"

Alix nodded hesitantly but said, "I'm afraid this will lead to more questions."

"Did you see something?"

"No," She responded quickly, "That's why I don't want to speak to her. I have no idea how the conversation will go."

That unsettled me. Alix's power wasn't an exact science but it was still extremely helpful. Even the slightest insight would have eased my fears. I stood up and Aleksander grabbed my arm before I could run away. Alix and I shared an uneasy look as the boys walked confidently to the girl.

"Excuse me, Miss?" Aleksander began.

The girl looked up from her book, her face flushed as she stared admiringly at Aleksander. I bit my lip in annoyance. Women would always be attracted to him. Old and young, beautiful and ugly, dumb and smart. There were probably even a few nuns who had the hots for him.

"Y-yes?" She stuttered and shyly tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

Aleksander smirked, causing my fingers to twitch. My boyfriend, who I cared for deeply, was a cocky asshole. The amount of arrogance he felt was unhealthy for a person.

"Would you be kind enough to tell me and my friends what the date what today?" He practically purred.

The girl snapped out of her lustful haze when the words friends touched her ears. Glancing our way, she took the time to scrutinize every one of us- paying special attention to the clothes that we wore. Her emotions turned weary when she looked back at Aleksander.

"It is the third of April," she said," 1816."

I blinked.

The year was 1816. As in two- hundred years ago!
--------------------------------------------------------------
CADDIE's POV:

I was prone to fainting spells.

Whenever a situation became too overwhelming, my mind would completely shut down. I hated them. The fear of never waking up had tormented me ever since I was child. But I would have gladly accepted one right now to escape my reality. Closing my eyes, I tried to slip away but the darkness never came. I should have  known better, nothing ever happens the way I want it to.