Chapter 14: Betrayed

Aleksander's POV:

Nox Haven was an intricate labyrinth consisting of more hidden chambers and skeletons in closets than the catacombs. I scoured every nook and cranny in the school. I found several small rooms that held nothing but a mop. I found old practice rooms that were contaminated with toxic fumes- my head was still spinning from that discovery- and I had found an abundance of secret passageways. But the one thing I wanted to find, the only thing I desired to stumble upon was missing. Caddie. I knew before I had began my hunt for her that my chances of merely stumbling upon her were slim. Through our connection, I could feel that she was somewhere far away but where I had no idea.

Alix and Jaxon were somewhere on the other side of the school, muddling in denial. They didn't want to believe that she would actually leave us. I didn't want to believe it as well but it was becoming a very real possibility. We pushed her too hard, I realized that, and forgot that even though she was one of the most powerful witches on the planet, she was still partially human. She could only handle so much.

Students gawked at me as glided down the main
staircase, lust permitted the air as girls sanctioned their stares on my broad chest and bulging muscles. I sighed, as several of them tried to stop me to say hello. They all seemed to be lovely girls with their high-society manner and pearl embroidered gowns but none of them were Caddie. It was such a miserable feeling, to fall in love. I always knew my feelings towards were heavily weighted but only when she was separated from my side could I feel the full extent of our bond. The never ending want and need of her sole attention was suffocating. I was going to drive myself mad with worry soon if she didn't magically appear out of thin air. The lapels on my coat jacket stood in a disoriented fashion as I flew down the steps, and into the main entryway. The eyes of the angels, on the ceiling, stared down at me almost in a accusing way, as if they knew what a mess my life had become.

"I'm guessing you haven't found her either?" Alix asked in a clipped tone.

I turned to the side of the staircase, both she and her brother were sitting on the bottom of the steps. Jaxon held his head in his hands, a groan of frustration fell from his lips as he pulled on the strands of his shaggy brown hair. Alix patted his back but her frustration and was equal to his. Feeling both of their anxiety mix with mine nearly sent me spiraling into a panic attack. I forced myself to calm down and remember the techniques of control my father had instilled upon me. It was often the job of the Heart Curator and Mind Manipulator to be the mediators in debates among the council members. Our powers kept the council members, from losing their tempers. Summoning my powers, I grabbed ahold of Alix and Jaxon's worry and sent waves of calm through their system.

Jaxon's shoulders slumped almost immediately as if the weight of the world had lifted off of his shoulders. He raised his head from his hands and offered me an uncharacteristically nice smile. It only lasted about two seconds but I still appreciated the form of gratitude. Alix, on the other hand, wasn't as kind. Her face remained contorted with frustration even though her emotions had mellowed.

"I didn't need your help," she hissed.

Jaxon rolled his eyes and placed a hand over hers. Their eyes met for a brief second, as they conveyed a silent message. Releasing an exasperated sigh, Alix snapped her eyes from him and focused back on me. She didn't anything but I could feel a sliver of gratitude surge through her muddled emotions.

"You're welcome," I told her in an earnest tone. "And no, I haven't found her. I don't think she's here anymore."

"I figured," Alix muttered.

"If she's not here then where can she possibly be?" Jaxon asked.

With Caddie, the options were endless. Her careless and almost reckless personality allowed her to flow with the wind. If possible, I'd like to think that she would be regularly traveling. Never staying in one spot for long, just observing everything at once. She was awfully good at observing. The only person who was better at that was Maddox but that was only because the art of being a fly on the wall ran through his blood.