Chapter 25: Game On

Dresses and shoes were strewn across the room, as I dug through my massive wardrobe. The Celestial Day celebration was in two hours and I had no idea what to wear. Never before had I dressed myself for such a fancy occasion- Alix or my aunt would always find me something to wear while I stood in a corner hugging my beloved sweatshirts to my chest. It was truly horrific that sweatshirts had yet to be invented. Everything in 1816 was much too tight around the chest, my boobs were either being suffocated half the time or falling out of the dress. Apparently, that was the desired look back then- but I didn't see anything attractive in looking like a high-class whore.

Alix claimed I was a prude and that was why I couldn't stand the sight of my own boobs out in the open- if only she knew what had transpired between Aleksander and I. I was itching to talk to her about it. Sex was a subject she was accustomed to or at least that was what she claimed. Either way, she was my best friend and there were just some things that I couldn't do without her. Talking about sex was one of them, and marching into a massive room filled with people with wandering eyes was another. By now, she would have already have found a dress, tackled me to the ground and shoved it onto my body. I winced as I remembered the last time she did that. We were in London, a month ago, meeting the Queen. The Queen was mortal but she had close ties to the Beta Warrior and Mira. I had been lectured by almost everyone, Aleksander, his father, my aunt, the Beta Warrior and Mira twice. They all knew that my version of fancy was a little different than theirs. I didn't see anything wrong with what I had on, I traded my sweatshirt for a nice cream sweater and a button down shirt. I even planned on wearing khakis with it, there's nothing more professional than khakis. But then Alix barged into my hotel room, in a sparkling ball gown and dazzling jewels. She was holding a green dress that could fit two of me in the skirt. We shared a brief moment of silence before I tried to jump around her and bolt out of the door. My escape attempt was cut short, of course she had seen me try to escape her evil clutches so before I could even get close to the door, she grabbed me by the waist and wrestled me into the damn thing.

I sighed, and leaned back against the post of my bed. Tilting my head towards the window I looked out at the expansive thicket. Things would never be the same, I realized. If we ever did get back home the world we knew and the times we shared wouldn't be the same. Sure, Aleksander would still be in my life but in what way? Would we still love each other, or would we hate each other? Being captured by the Dark Ones changed him, it made him a better man. Without them Cam and Dmitri would be alive but then Alix would never have to be my Guardian. We probably wouldn't have even met. And then a really frightening thought came to my mind. Without the influence of Roberto or the Dark Ones, would my mother still be alive? And if so, how would that change me?

"Caddie?" I jumped to my feet.

Aleksander was standing in front of me looking as dashing as ever. He was a in a three piece black tuxedo, his brown locks were concealed by a black top hat. The whole outfit was giving me sexy Abraham Lincoln vibes and I couldn't help but smile.

"You look g-great," my voice cracked.

His eyes flashed with concern as he took a step towards me. "Are you ok? You look like you're going to cry."

I brushed a loose tear away and just shook my head. He didn't need to know about worries. Alek was already doing enough worrying for himself after Jaxon revealed Alix's ludicrous vision. I could see it in the back of his beautiful blue eyes, the concern and fear. He was trying to behave and not lash out like he did yesterday and for that I was grateful but after I told Jaxon and him about Adeline's amulet and my plan for getting home, there was a strange tension between us. It was all a matter of time, I realized while staring at my beautiful boyfriend, and we were running out of it.