Chapter 23: Love is Blind

"Alix!" I cried as I rushed to her bedside.

Behind me, I heard the door slam shut as Aleksander and Jaxon made their way into the infirmary. The nurses offered a half smile before returning their other patients. There were at least three students who had come down with the plague and though the nurses claimed they had everything under control I couldn't help but fear it spreading. History class always went into the m gruesome details about the plagues of the past. Though Alix's fingers never turned black, and she wasn't puking up blood- the plague did cause significant wear on her body. She was practically skin and bones, any muscle she had before deteriorated away. Her skin was paper white and almost translucent looking. I was afraid her sharp cheekbones were going slice through the thin flesh that covered them. The natural pout she possessed was gone, her lips had turned white and cracked. She looked... dead.

Wrapping my arms around her frail torso, I embraced her tightly. I could feel her wince underneath me, it was my only indication that my dear friend was actually alive. Slowly, her bony hands rested on my back. I could faintly feel her pulse as I buried my face in the crook of my neck, it brought tears to my eyes. I should be laying there, I thought. Alix was so good and so kind to me, all I ever did in return was hurt her.

"Caddie?" Alix asked. Her voice was soft, almost a breathy whisper.

"It's okay," I petted her knotted auburn locks, "I'm here, you're fine. You're going to be fine."

My rambling was more for my benefit than hers. She was in my arms, and I could feel her heartbeat but she just seemed so far from life. I was afraid if I let her go, she might be lost forever.

"Caddie is that you?" Alix asked again.

I pulled back slightly, still keeping her in my embrace. Scanning her face, my mouth twisted into a frown. Was something wrong? How could she not tell it was me? I was about to ask Jaxon when my eyes met hers. Her beautiful, emerald jewels were diluted. The beautiful shade of green was veiled by a milky white color.

"Oh Alix..." I whispered, "what happened to you?"

The nurses appeared by my sides, a solemn expression dominated their features. The elder nurse patted my shoulder, while the younger one shot me a look of pure pity. If it weren't for Aleksander pulling me away from the cot, I would have incinerated both of those woman. My body shudder violently as I fisted my hands. Magic pooled in my palms but with a great deal of effort, I managed to hold it back.

"You said you could save her!" I screamed.

"She is alive is she not?" The younger one's temper flared.

I sneered at her. Raising a fist, I planned on cursing her to the very pits of hell when Aleksander managed to grab my hands and twist them behind my back. Jaxon stepped in front of me blocking the two imbeciles from my vision as I struggled to free myself from Aleksander. To my distaste, he didn't have to fight very hard to keep me in place. His strength, coupled by his powers left me prisoner in his hold. Turning my head, I tried to look at him in hopes that he would release once he saw my pain but his eyes were closed. He knew me too well.

"Caddie please relax," he sent doses of lethargy and peace into my system. "Alix is alive."

"She's blind!" I tried to raise my voice but the affects of his magic were already taking place, leaving me as calm as could be.

"Caddie please," Alix begged. Vaguely, I could hear the whisper of my best friend in her voice but she was so far gone. The bossy commanding tone she used had completely disappeared. She was nothing but a mere ghost of the girl I loved.

"H-how?" I asked. My agressive stance had melted. I was no longer trying to free myself from Aleksander, instead I was burying myself further into his warm embrace. Clutching the scratchy material of his wool waistcoat, I I held myself securely against his broad chest. His hands released my wrists as he wrapped them around my waist.