Chapter 10: Broken Toy

RECAP:

Alix shook her head as if to refocus her thoughts, "Jax is right. I had a vision, a very disturbing one. There was a group of people, they sounded like they were in a lot of pain. The place they were at was really dark and cold, I couldn't see much except dirt and metal bars. I think these people might be Roberto's Dark Ones, but I can't tell where they are."

Caddie's eyes enlarged, "I know exactly where they are! The dungeon!"

That made perfect sense. The dungeons were used to contain Dark Ones. It'd be perfectly easy for a certain deranged heir to slip under the radar and colonize an army of psychotic soldiers. Alix, Caddie and I smirked at each other, knowing exactly where the next destination of our tour should be.

"Wait," Jaxon said, completely bewildered. "Nox Haven has a dungeon? How did I never know about that?"

He turned to his sister, "How did you know? And why didn't you tell me I was sleeping above hordes of Dark Ones!"

Alix patted his shoulder. Her emerald eyes twinkled with mischief. "Now is not the time brother. We have dungeons to visit and people to kill."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CADDIE's POV:

I could feel him staring at me. He hadn't stopped staring at me since I entered the dining hall. There wasn't an ounce of curiosity or contempt within his stare, it was impossible for him to feel that way. Instead, his stare was filled hunger. I felt like a mouse being stalked by a cat. A big cat.

I tried my best to ignore him. Especially when important things were being discussed, like the return of Alix's visions but he had piqued my own curiosity. What was it that he wanted from me? I had made it obvious that I was not interested in family bonding. I wouldn't be visiting the Magicry late at night, to trade depressing stories of our childhood. I wasn't going to be changing my last name to Acosta and dawning the title of the Dark Warlock's little sister. Perhaps Aleksander and Adeline would be able to form a family bond but I couldn't. Not even if it was the only way to get information from him.

I wasn't like the others. I couldn't manipulate people to get what I wanted. Maybe that was because I grew up being the girl who was easy to manipulate. I was the sheltered, naive  girl who didn't realize that if someone was being uncharacteristically nice, it was because they wanted you to do their homework. Alix and Aleksander and probably Jaxon were the ones who just had to smile kindly and someone would come rushing to their aid. I didn't hate any of them for their past habits but I wanted to make sure they stayed in the past. Or future. The timeline was confusing me.

"We should go now," Alix's hostile tone broke my train of thoughts.

Aleksander and Alix were having another stand off. Alix stood in front of my boyfriend, her posture rigid, arms at her side with clenched fists, her lips were pulled back into a snarl. For being as beautiful as she was, she was also terrifying when angry. The students who were close enough to see the expression on her face, leaned as far away as possible but still managed to gossip anxiously with their friends. Aleksander, on the other hand, was completely unaffected by Alix's tough girl charade. He stood behind me, with one hand stuffed in his pocket the other one was inching closer to my hand. His perfectly beautiful features were slack with boredom.

"We can't go now, Alix," Superiority rang in his voice, "People will become suspicious if we suddenly disappear."

"What would they think we're doing? Honestly, it's not as if Roberto's plans are public knowledge," Jaxon interjected, naturally taking his sister's side.

My head was pounding again. All they did was fight! Every second I turned my head, they're ready to rip each other to pieces.

"I'm going to ask nicely for all of you to shut up," I plastered a fake smile on my face.