ONE

Naomi Reid

❝a hollow sound is ringing where your heart used to be

❝a hollow sound is ringing where your heart used to be.❞

"COMIN' BACK FOR more? They always do

"COMIN' BACK FOR more? They always do." I smirked as Bob and his buddies started following me once again.

"We're only coming back to knock you out cold." Bob snarled, slamming his fist on the side of the Mustang.

I gasped, holding my hand to my chest dramatically. "I'm terrified of you, Bob, honestly."

He rolled his eyes, calling his buddies over, including Randy. "What are we going to do to her boys?"

I chuckled and tilted my head to the side. "I think it's more, what am I going to do to you?"

Before Randy could react, I kicked him in the stomach, causing him to double over in pain. Bob came at me and I grabbed his fist midair, pushing him back into his Mustang.

I scrunched my face together as Bob's body hit the car. "That's gonna leave a mark."

I took this as my chance to run away, and as I did I heard Bob shout.

"You can't keep running, Naomi!"

I found myself out of breath once I arrived at Maya's house. She's the only person I have left. I lost my mom to a drunk driver, and I lost my dad. He's not dead, he's just not there. Drinks himself to death.

Which, I can't pity him when I do the same thing.

Ever since Mom died a part of us died too.

I walked right into Maya's house, not even bothering to knock. I've known her my whole life and her family has been more caring than mine have ever been.

"She's upstairs!" Her mom shouted, knowing it was me.

I sprinted up the stairs, slowing my footsteps as I arrived in front of her bedroom door. My hand found its way to the knob and I twisted it, pushing it open with all of the force I had. She jumped so high she about fell off the bed.

"What the hell, Naomi? You always scare me!" She was trying to be serious, but started laughing halfway through.

I cracked a small grin, but immediately stopped once I realized what I came here for. "Maya, I need to tell you something."

She patted the seat next to her on the bed, and I plopped down next to her. "I may have gotten myself into some trouble."

She chuckled. "When do you not?"

I shook my head, my voice going cold. "I may have slashed the tires on Dallas Winston's car."

Her eyes went huge. "YOU WHAT?!"

"I didn't know it was his! I thought it was Melanie's. You know I love screwing with her!" I yelled, crossing my arms.

She gave me a look my mom would give me. "You know how dangerous Dallas Winston is. If he finds out you did it, you're dead meat."

"Literally." I chuckled.

I sighed and fell back on her bed. "He got a pretty clear view of me, Maya. I'm screwed."

She shook her head. "Why do you always do stuff like this on purpose? You just go around and mess with people."

I shrugged, standing up and opening the windowsill. "When people break you, you break them."

I jumped out of her window, climbing down the metal pole in her yard and running off. She knew I was reckless, but Maya also knew that I was a damaged person. You don't fix broken people because if you do, you end up broken as well.

Maya is the exact opposite of me, but in a way, alike. We're both sassy, but she's always happy. I on the other hand, broken. I think it's why we get along so well. She's a Soc, I'm a Greaser. Opposites attract as they say, but I also think that alike forces can come together. In some way.

//

"HEY, DAD." I spoke softly, wandering into the living room.

He didn't answer, he just watched the glowing light from the television, a beer bottle in his hand. There were thousands more surrounding him, and I bet that there was another pack in the kitchen.

I sighed and wandered into my bedroom, grabbing my pajamas and heading into the shower. Once I got out, I brushed my teeth and went into my bedroom. There was a note hanging on the outside of my window and I furrowed my eyebrows, opening the window and grabbing the note.

I closed and locked the window, hesitating to open the note. It had extremely sloppy handwriting.

You're messing with the wrong guy, Naomi.
-Dallas Winston

I chuckled to myself as I ripped the note to shreds, throwing it in the trash can. "Well, in that case, Winston. Game on."

//

I hope you all enjoyed the first chapter! I have a feeling I'm really going to enjoy writing this story!