Chapter 27: Shade-Throwing Comes Naturally To Teenagers

(:)(:)(:)

I dump my bag onto the floor, falling onto my bed in exhaustion, cursing my detention to the darkest pits of Tartarus. Curling up, fetus-style, I close my eyes, planning to sleep until dinner time.

My phone thinks otherwise as it begins vibrating in my back pocket. I don't move for a moment before finally giving up and taking out my phone. I answer the call, laying the phone down on my cheek. "Hello?" I grumble.

"'Sup, Jordie," a voice greets me casually.

"Hey, Trevor," I answer, holding the phone to my ear as I close my eyes and roll over on my back. "What's up?"

"Nothing much, how've you been?" He asks as I hear shuffling on the other end.

"Eh."

He chuckles. "I feel you." He then sighs and I hear his mother yell something on the other line but I can't quite make it out. "HE CAN COME IN–" he yells, farther away from the phone, thankfully, before returning back to me. "How long has it been since we've talked? Weeks?" He cries out, sobbing dramatically. "I've missed you so much, Jordie!"

I roll my eyes, smiling. "Shut up, you're making me cringe with your ugly crying," I tell him jokingly.

"Ouch."

"Who came to visit the wicked witch of the west?" I ask him curiously, standing up as I walk around my room, absentmindedly.

"I don't know, I'm not over there with you," he answers simply and I can imagine a cheeky look on his face.

I place a hand over my chest mockingly. "Ouch," I say in an exaggerated, offended tone. I drop the tone and grin. "Is that your boyfriend?" I tease him, stopping my pacing as I jump up and down on my toes excitedly.

"Jordan, no, why in the world–? Oh my god, you're just– I don't have a boyfriend... He's definitely not my boyfri– just ew. Like he's not that bad– Let me stop since— You're just– Why'd you even do– oh my god... Dude... I hate you."

My grin broadens. "Aw, you know you love me, you've loved me since the first time we met. Remember when you confessed?" I tease before imitating him in a very badly high-pitched voice. "'Oh, Jordan, I love you more than chocolate cookies.'"

"Oh, shut up, you and I both know I never said that." He huffs.

I laugh loudly, continuing my mindless walking. "Now, why would you think that?"

He doesn't say anything and I can imagine the look on his face, making me stifle another laugh. I calm down quickly enough. "So, who's with you?"

"Your brothe– Yeowch!" I hear Trevor cry out before he lets out a colorful list of words. "What? She asked me, why the fu–"

I clear my throat loudly. "My brother?"

"Nooo..." He says, dragging out the word more than he should. I hear commotion on the other end and muffled arguing, piquing my curiosity.

I raise my eyebrows disbelievingly as I catch a few words of the conversation and immediately recognize Ronnie's voice. Furrowing my eyebrows, I'm left confused. Why is my brother with my best friend?