Chapter 23: Speedy Go- Ernie Gonzalez, The Hall Monitor

(:)(:)(:)

I feel my thighs burning as I keep running through the hallways, panicking as I watch everyone entering their homeroom, leaving me out here alone and deserted.

No, no, no.

Please don't ring, please don't ring.

"Do not run in the hallways!" One teacher shouts after me but I don't look back and instead slow down to a speedy pace.

Okay, let me give you a quick explanation as to why I'm currently running through my school hallways.

You see, it's not that I chose to be late, it's just that while I was in the not-exactly-planned-sleepover at Ruby's house, we remembered that I didn't have any clothes for me to wear to school and since the redhead's clothes were two sizes too small for moi (me) we panicked. Luckily, Ruby remembered that Teresa had left some of her clothes at her house and since we were almost the same size, that problem was solved. Apparently, Ashton had left earlier so that he'd get ready in his home since Ruby didn't have any boy clothes that were his size. Fortunately, Teresa had gotten to Ruby's house safely.

Unfortunately, we were late for school.

I bite my lip anxiously as I keep speed-walking and just as I'm three feet away from my homeroom class:

The. Bell. Freaking. Rings.

Maybe, I can still get away without getting–

"Well, well, well," a snotty voice calls out behind me, "If it isn't our newest delinquent in this school."

...In trouble, I think dejectedly as my shoulders sag.

I turn around, coming face to face with the hall manager. I wrinkle my nose as I remember how much I despise his cold brown eyes and the stupid smirk permanently planted on his stupid face. Basically everything about him is stupid.

Ernie Gonzalez.

More like Speedy Gonzalez.

Oh, wait. I forgot that this guy doesn't have a sense of humor.

He smirks at me (gah) and takes out his detention pad. "And so we meet again, Jordan Leith," he says before uncapping the pen that was hanging by the collar of his shirt. He begins writing before looking up again. "Name?"

I stomp my foot in exasperation as I look at the ceiling for a second. "You just said my full name," I say, frustration radiating off of me like waves.

He smiles in an unapologetically way. "Yeah, I guess your name wasn't important enough for my brain to remember it again."

I smile tightly as I clasp my hands together behind my back, resisting the urge to strangle the poop out of him. "Jo Lyre," I say sweetly.

He stops writing and looks at me with a raised eyebrow. "Jo Lyre, really?" He asks skeptically, "Are you seriously testing my intelligence right now, blondie? Do I look stupid to you?"

"Do you really want me to answer that?"

"Do you really want another detention slip?"

"Like as if I'll attend them anyways," I shoot back, crossing my arms over my chest.

He glares and begins writing again before ripping two pieces of pink slips from his pad and handing it to me. I carefully take them and read over them before smiling pleasantly. "Oh, won't you look at that, it says Jordan Leith," I look up, "I thought you didn't think my name was important enough to remember."