Chapter 38: Honestly, Not Even Gonna Try To Interfere

(:)(:)(:)

"I am not a bad baker," I tell Ronnie crossly, turning my head away from him.

"Jordan," Tyler says, completely serious in the face. "You completely suck at it."

"I agree with our little brother," Ronnie says, hugging Tyler's head.

"Why are you even in my room?" I ask exasperatedly, throwing my hands up in the air. Sparing a glance at my best friend, I notice that he's quiet, looking down. As if he's in another world. Biting my lip, I look away, worried.

Ronnie seems to notice Trevor's behavior as well.

"I came for my guy," he suddenly says, standing up.

I choke.

"Actually," Teresa suddenly says, waltzing right into my room (talk about perfect timing), "I came for Trevor," she says, smiling sweetly.

"Teresa, lay off," Ronnie snaps, irritated.

She blinks innocently and cocks her head slightly. "I'm sorry? Chill, Ronnie, I came to get him because his mom is downstairs." She smirks slightly. "I'm not stealing him from you... not yet, at least."

"Jordan, get your cousin," Ronnie says, rounding on me.

"Idiot, I'm your cousin, too!"

"And I am out," Trevor says, smoothly brushing pass my two relatives. He pauses for a second, and turns to face me. "Weren't you baking a patch of cookies for me?"

"It's only been–" I stop, horrified as I realize that I took too long to take the cookies out of the oven. I stand up, pushing Trevor out of the way as I begin running down the stairs. "Holy mother of biscuits," I mutter.

"JORDAN!"

I cringe, feeling a bit afraid of my life. "MA'AM?" I yell back.

"DID YOU BURN SOMETHING?!"

I don't answer as I head inside the kitchen, quickly putting on mittens before taking out the blackened pieces of cookies. "And there goes another waste of food..." I sigh, hating myself.

"You'll get 'em next time, tiger." My dad smiles sympathetically. "But that's not giving you an invitation to try, maybe you should just never enter the kitchen again."

"Gee, spare my feelings, why don't you, dad."

"Jordan, sweetie, I love you but you really do suck at baking, so, I'm just going to direct you out of here before you set something on fire," my mom says, placing her hands on my shoulders and pushing me out of the room. "And stay out."

I pout, coughing a bit when the lingering smell of burnt food reaches my air pipes. "I hate myself," I mumble.

"Why is it so cold." I shiver, grumbling to myself as I follow after Ronnie.

He rolls his eyes. "You've been back for three days already, stop whining and get used to it already." He faces me, smirking. "We should go down the street for those hot cocoa's they make at Bobby's. I'm sure Teresa can wait."