Chapter 40: When in Doubt, Prank Your Sibling

Recap: Jordan is home for the holidays, her best friend (Trevor) came out to her. Her brother (Ronnie) has feelings for her best friend. Teresa (the cousin) and her parents have come to Ohio to celebrate Christmas with Jordan.

Yeah, sorry. Not much.

(:)(:)(:)

"Teresa, I'm scared."

She closes her book, sitting up from the beanbag chair to look at me. Tilting her head, she gives me her full attention. "Why?"

"Well," I hesitate before continuing my pacing. "It's Tyler. Before I left to live with you, we sorta had a little prank war. I started it, but it was only because he was getting on my nerves. He got me back and then I got him back on the day that I left and I swear I feel like he has something planned but I don't really know what it is and I'm so stupid because I just realized now and he hasn't even pranked me yet–"

"Whoa, slow down, you're talking too fast," Teresa interrupts, holding her hands up before she gets up. Grabbing my arms to stop my pacing, she says, "Breathe."

I gasp, placing a hand over my mouth. "Oh my god-" I say before running over to my door and flinging it open. "Ha!" I shout but there's no one there. Suspiciously, I look both ways, even checking the corners to see if anyone was there. Sighing in relief, I walk back into my room. Teresa looks at me like I'm crazy, tilting her head to ask my silently as to what the heck did I just do.

"I mean, I wanted to check if he was oh-so-coincidently was listening or something. Maybe he forgot and I don't want to remind him?"

She laughs. "Jordan, that only happens in movies."

"How do you know we're not in a movie?" I ask her, narrowing my eyes.

She rolls her eyes before looking around my room. "Yeah, no. Pretty sure we're not in a movie seeing as there aren't any cameras or a mic above our heads or lights. Not even a director. Also, for the life of me, I can't act."

"Alright, alright, fine." I give in, flopping onto my bed. I raise a finger. "What about a book then?" I ask, giving her a look.

She laughs again. "Right, a book," she repeats doubtfully, crossing my arms.

"It's possible," I say, "I've been thinking a lot lately, maybe there's someone reading my life story or-" I gasp. "Someone writing it!"

"Jordan, stop thinking too much."

I look at her, taking a deep breath in before letting it out. I sigh, moving away from her grasp and flopping onto my bed. "Do you want to know what I did?"

"I'm sure it was something horrible but do tell."

"I put bed bugs in his bed."

"What?! In whose bed?!"

"...Tyler."

"Oh no. Girl, you're doomed, I'm sorry," Teresa said, getting up from my bed. "You're on your own in this one."

"Teresa!" I call after her desperately, panicking even more.

She throws her hands up in the air. "Well, what do you want me to do, Jordan?"