Chapter 43: Heart to Heart with Jake-Whoop, Nevermind

(:)(:)(:)

"Oh my god." I breath out, glancing at Jake with wide eyes. "Dude, is this even allowed?" I question, feeling ridiculously thrilled at the fact that I'm on the very top of the school building. I watch the small pavement stretch out before, railings on the edges, almost like keeping people from falling off.

Back up, rewind.

After skipping the whole assembly thing, Jake informed me that it usually took an hour before it was over. Apparently, our dearest principal likes going on long and inspiring speeches that just touches the hearts of hundreds of teenagers that never listen to a word he says. High school, am I right?

When I didn't know exactly where we could go without leaving the school, Jake whips out a surprise when he tells me that he knows where the ladder that accesses the roof. Fast forwards a few minutes later and here we are.

Jake grins, his eyes bright as he dangles his long legs over the railing. "'Course not, Blondie, but where's the fun in following the rules all the time?"

"I just... I'm not gonna argue with you," I mutter, remembering how many rules I've broken in the past. Cautiously, I walk closer to the edge, watching as Jake casually looks down at everything like he owns it. Biting the inside of my cheek, I peer at the high drop awaiting me if I even dare to sit on the railing.

"You know, you're putting way too much trust in me," I tell Jake. "I could always just push you really hard and you'd die. Just go splat."

"Geez, blondie, your mind is a dangerous place," he says, laughing. His body is relaxed, not worried about me doing anything to him. "Sit beside me," he insists, patting the railing as he swings one leg.

I look at him in disbelief before laughing. "You're kidding, right?"

He shrugs. "Suit yourself," he says, turning to look forward.

Hesitating a little, I slowly walk to be beside him. Leaning on the railing, I watch everything below us. The cars passing in the distance, the gate, and everything else that the city has to offer. A light cold breeze blows my hair into my face. "We're really high up," I inform Jake, glancing at him. "Also, are these rails even stable enough to hold your weight?"

The brunette looks at me, a smile curving the corner of his mouth. "Don't tell me you're afraid of heights too," he teases, not answering my second question. "I thought you were a bit more reckless, blondie. What happened?"

Amused, I flip my hair. "I've matured," I say dramatically, staring into the distance with a serious face. Or at least, as serious as I can be. Unable to resist the urge to crack a grin, I eye him. "I'm kidding, obviously... but I have stopped."

"Why?"

I look below me, watching, before I answer. "Why not? Besides, it's senior year and if you haven't noticed, when we first met, I was literally the most ignorant and childish person to ever grace your life." Pretending to wipe a tear from my cheek. "As much as it hurts me to admit it... it's low-key true."

He laughs. "I wouldn't say that," he teases.

I laugh along. "Why are you so happy anyways?" I ask, nudging him lightly. "You're always brooding and like 'don't talk to me, you're not worth my time' literally all the time."

"Oh? I can't be happy now?" He smiles, waiting for my answer.

I shake my head. "Of course you can... it's just... a bit weird," I inform him, before furrowing my eyebrows. "Jake, seriously get over here, you literally sitting there is giving me a cardiac arrest."