Chapter 44: Diana Does Like Her Threats Cheesy

(:)(:)(:)

"So... you're telling me that he just... freaked out and ran?" Teresa questions incredulously.

"Yeah." I sigh, placing my chin on the palm of my head. Feeling slightly sad and very much rejected, I close my eyes and replay the events from earlier today.

"Will you go out on a date with me?"

"Um..." His eyes widened, his hand was still in mine as he temporarily froze. "Well, I-"

I patiently waited. "Take your time."

He forced out a loud laugh that made my eyebrows rise. Frowning, I look at the door and back at him. "It's an easy question, Jake," I informed him softly, slowly letting his hand go. "Yes or no..." I trailed off, cringing, hoping with all my might that he won't reject me harshly.

"Right." He sighed, refusing to look into my eyes. "We should go," he abruptly said.

"But-"

He didn't wait for my response, immediately brushing past me to go through the trap door. Before I could grab his arm, he slipped right through my fingers, disappearing in the blink of an eye. Confused and hurt, I frown after him.

"Jake Branders!"

"What a grade A-" Cara quickly spares me a quick glance before slowly switching her wording of the end of her sentence. "Jack-hole." She stops and slowly chuckles to herself. "Jake-hole." She grins, her eyes sparkling at her pun.

I grin at her, unable to help myself from a giggle escaping me. Ruby smiles in amusement and even Teresa cracks a grin, already warming up more to the former cheerleader.

"To add on, he merely changed the subject, refusing to look me in the eye!" I exclaim angrily, curling my hands into fists.

"That idiot!" Teresa's voice broke though my thoughts. Looking over at her, she wildly waves her hands. "The dumb, dumb idiot! That's just like him!" She hissed again.

"Teresa, shush," Ruby tries to soothe the fuming girl before turning to me. "So, he didn't outright say no?"

"Nopes."

"Well, maybe he just needs time to think about it?" She suggests, biting her lip.

I raise an eyebrow. "And he couldn't just inform me of that?" I counter, getting up from my chair. "I'm gonna go put this book back in its place," I tell them, sighing as I pick up my Civil Rights book.

"Have fun."

I smile at them briefly, walking towards the tall bookshelves. Biting the inside of my cheek, I frown, thinking thoughtfully.

Did I scare him away?

After he left the rooftop, I stayed there for an extra minute, my face warmed from the abrupt rejection. It stung even more when he didn't even care to answer, merely leaving to avoid me. In the end, I decided to head to the assembly, waiting outside. After a few minutes, they came out and I easily blended in with them. The day went by fast and even lunch wasn't so awkward, especially since Jake didn't appear. In fact, he avoided me for the rest of the day, but I wasn't in the mood to talk him. I was too embarrassed.

After school, Cara met me right after; she didn't look that comfortable when she realized that my cousin and Ruby would join us. Both girls smiled at her, slightly wary but not daring to be anything but polite to the new addition. I didn't have the motivation to tell them about the Jake situation yet and they didn't question where I was during the assembly. I couldn't hold it in any longer though, I had to rant or talk to someone about it eventually.