Chapter 42: School? More Like a Fantasy Come To Life

A/N: oof, sorry if this is confusing guys. I wrote this, thinking that it was the first day for everyone when I literally said in the last chapter that Jordan missed the first day back to school lmao. Please, excuse that giant mistake, I'll try to fix the last chapter to correspond with this one.

(:)(:)(:)

"I—"

Teresa and Ruby gape at the scene before us, rendered into speechlessness as well.

Three shirtless boys dance seductively in front of the entrance to school, gaining a small crowd of people to stare in either horror or fascination... at their stupidity. A brunette girl, that I recognize from my English class, stands in front of the crowd, giggling and clapping her hands. A dark-haired one— who I recognize as one of Ashton's soccer friends— grabs her waist, dipping her. She laughs loudly, escaping his hold before tapping on her phone screen, showing him something. His cheeks heat up and he shakes his head ruefully, before continuing to dance like as if he's in Magic Mike.

Blinking furiously, resisting the urge to rub my eyes and ruin my simple makeup, I slowly begin to walk. Giving the three boys one last curious and mortified look, one catches my eye and winks, grinning. Teresa and Ruby follow my lead after a second, their eyes never abandoning the scene blocking the entrance.

"People are so extra," I mutter, looking away, shaking my head as I hurriedly open the door to the school building.

"Are they not cold?!" Teresa exclaims, finally regaining her ability to speak.

Ruby stares at my cousin incredulously. "Cold?" She screeches. "Are they not worried about being expelled?!"

"They're gonna get hypothermia and suspended," I mutter, pinching the bridge of nose as I down the last of my coffee, throwing the cup in a trash bin near.

"That girl, E—" Teresa starts before she's interrupted.

"Hey, Jordan!" A girl in a brown jacket and red scarf stops in front of me. She readjusts her satchel, her brown gaze flitting to Ruby and Teresa nervously. "I— er, how are you?" She asks, dropping her gaze to her shoes, knocking one of them gently with the other as she pushes her glasses up the bridge of her nose.

"Oh, I'm good, how are you?" I ask, slightly surprised. "Er, Cara?" I add, finally remembering her name. "You... cut your hair and... you wear glasses?" I ask, unsurely.

She smiles. "Yeah, I kinda need new contact lenses so I'm wearing glasses now," she says, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear. "I'm good too, but um, you remember Diego, right?" She asks. "The guy you were tutoring last year?"

"Yeah, what about him?"

"Well, he told me to tell you that he won't need the tutoring anymore," she says, "Not that you're terrible or anything, but er... I'm tutoring him now."

"That's great!" I reassure, slightly confused, wondering when they even became acquainted with one another. "Less work for me," I joke before shaking my head, frowning. "Sorry, that wasn't even funny."

She laughs either way. "Well, bye, Jordan. I hope you had a good break," she says, already walking away.

"Wait!" I call after, turning to bid goodbye to Ruby and Teresa. Turning back around to catch Cara waiting patiently for me, I jog to catch up to her. As I fall in step with her, I clear my throat awkwardly. "Uhh... wow, sorry, I don't really know as to what I wanna say," I tell her, laughing.