Chapter 13

I took a seat at the dinning room table next to Alex. Her mother sat across from her and her father across from me. Her mother had made chicken parmesan for all of us.

     It was the first proper dinner I've had in years. I looked at the food in front of me while everyone had started eating.

     "I'm sorry, are you allergic to anything? Oh, I forgot to ask." her mom asked quickly. She got up and was about to take my plate until I spoke up.

     "No, no, everything's fine. It's just that I haven't had a home cooked meal at a dinner table in who knows how long." I said looking at her. She gave me another pained look. The difference between our lives are drastic.

     "Well I mean, I'm not surprised by the looks of where you were." came her father's voice inbetween chewing. Pam put down her fork and knife and gave him a look causing him to shrug.

     "It's okay. I don't really think about it. It's just been what's going on for so long, I don't know any different." I said again earning another sad look from Alex's mother. It's as if this family has never gone through any hard times.

     We all finished and I brought my plate to the kitchen where Alex's dad was loading the dishwasher. He took the plate out of my hand and looked at me.

     "I found this in your room. I decided not to say anything about it, however, I suggest you make it disappear." he said, putting my other cig in my hand. I looked at it and put it in my pocket.

     "Thanks." I said quietly, looking at the floor. He sighed and stuck out his hand. I took it and he gave me a handshake.

     "Thank you for getting my daughter out of there. I looked at the scene and it wasn't pretty. We'll have to ask you a few questions eventually, but for now, I just want to thank you. You put yourself in front of my daughter and all she had was a few scratches on her arms." he said while looking me in the eyes. He gave me a very warm and sincere smile.

     "Dad and I got invited to go out with friends so you two will be alone for tonight. It's getting late so you should get to bed." came her mom's voice. Alex walked over to me and we both went back up the stairs.

     "Do you want to sleep in my room or one of the guest bedrooms?" she asked biting her lip. I honestly didn't know.

     "I'm guessing you'll want to sleep in your room so, I'll take the guest room." I said without looking at her. She nodded her head and opened the door across from her room.

     I walked inside and saw a room identical to Alex's, just painted different colors and not as decorated. It was a nice room.

     "Do you want something else to sleep in or are you okay?" she asked, looking at my clothes. I should be fine.

     "I'm good thanks." I replied. She nodded and started walking to the door. Before she walked out, she turned around to look at me.

     "If you need anything I'm literally just right across the hall." she said. I nodded in response and she left, closing the door behind her.

     I walked to the bed and sat down. Today has been hectic. I undid the sheets and climbed into the bed.

     It was firm but comfortable. My body relaxed into the mattress with ease. It's a huge step up from my bed.

     I took my phone and cig out of my pocket. I put the cig down and looked through my phone. I texted a few people back telling them that I was busy today and that I'll talk to them tomorrow. I started going through Instagram.

     A few minutes turned to hours of me on my phone. I didn't want to go to sleep. I continued scrolling when I heard a scream.

     I sat up and looked around at the room. Was I going crazy? There wasn't another sound so I decided to just lay back down.

     I'm probably paranoid. I set my phone down and stared at the ceiling. I'd fall asleep eventually.

     Another scream. I got up and walked to the the door. I opened it and stood in the the hallway. I looked around and heard the scream again. It was coming from right in front of me.

     Alex's room. I stood there debating if I should go in. I quietly opened the door and kept it ajar behind me. I saw Alex in bed with the blankets on the floor.

     Even through the darkness I could see her shaking. I walked over to her and listened to the quickness of her breathing.

     I gently placed my hand on her arm and she jolted awake. She let out another ear piercing scream. I retracted my hand and took a large step back. My foot got caught in the blankets and I fell down, landing on my back right next to her bed.

     I let out a loud groan, the impact irritating my sides. I heard movement from her bed and I looked to see her looking down at me.

     "Tobin? What are you doing?" she asked still looking at me. I just laid there for a second.

     "I heard you scream. You were having a bad dream I think. Came in to check on you but I slipped on your blanket." I said, sitting up so I was level with her face as she was still laying.

     "Oh. Thank you." she said smiling. I nodded and got up completely and walked to her door.

     "Tobin wait." she said, causing me to stop. I turned around to look at her. She had a scared look on her face.

     "Stay with me."

A/N:
cute.