Chapter 39

It seems like every year on day two of tryouts, it ends up pouring. We ran our mile on a wet track. Only one girl threw up this year. Today was the day that people were getting hurt left and right. We can't cancel tryouts and there was no use postponing it.

      No one played on the turf today since it was completely slicked up. Anyone who was really working hard had mud somewhere on their body. No one went out for lunch today. I was sitting under the bleachers with Hope and Kelley when someone caught Kelley's attention.

     "Hi! How are you? How's the back doing?" Kelley screeched. She was about to hug Christen when she decided against it. "Sorry I'm muddy."

     "It's okay." she said hugging Kelley anyway. "And I'm good, everything's good."

     She walked up to me and wrapped her arms around me. I hugged her tight, lifting her off the ground and spinning us. She laughed as I put her down.

     She put her arms on my shoulders and I could feel her hands on the back of my neck and I put my hands on her waist. She put her lips to mine and we kissed in the rain under these bleachers. What everyone dreams about right? That kiss in the rain or under the bleachers. Now both are combined.

     "Hey guys can I-" a voice came behind me. I pulled away, Christen's arms still around my neck. I turned to see her wet hair pushed back by her pink headband.

     "Hey." I said staring at her. Everyone was dripping at tryouts between the water and the sweat. The only one who seemed to still look good was her.

     "Hey." she said, looking from me to Christen, then back at me. Christen smiled at her, earning a hesitant smile back from Alex.

     "I just came to bring you some lunch because I didn't think you shouldn't eat." Christen said, picking up the big lunch box and handing it to me. I took it and walked it to my bag. "There's a lot so everyone can probably eat some."

     I picked her up and she wrapped her legs around me. I started pecking her lips over and over. I held on to her tight.

     "You know I love you right." I said to her. She put her hands on the sides of my face and we connected our lips again. She was irresistible.

     "Tobin and Hope, I need to speak with you." came our coach's voice. I put Christen down and pulled away. Hope started walking with our coach.

     "Thank you so much, I love you." I said kissing her quickly one last time, then taking off after Hope. We followed her to the athletics hall and into the girls locker room. There were people there so we went to the other side and into the office.

     "There will only be one full field scrimmage, the rest just half. I'm counting on you two to settle everyone down if things get out of hand. We've already had 6 girls get sent to Percy and that's just the few I know about. We don't want people out for the season just because of tryouts." she said very seriously. Hope and I looked at each other and then back at her. We nodded. "See you in a bit."

     We walked out of the locker room and back to the bleachers. We both had some extra responsibility. We got closer to the bleachers when we heard the distressed voices of Alex and Kelley.

     "Well what did you expect? She was just going to wait around?" Kelley said. Hope and I went around and kept out of sight. We both looked at each other with confused faces.

     "I don't know? Maybe. It just seems like my situation with him is worsening. I'm starting to realize he hasn't been treating me right." Alex said. Was she talking about Servando?

     "Well she seems pretty happy. Like she's a new person. She seems like she's in a great place now. I don't know how she's going to give that up." Kelley said, crossing her arms and looking around. We ducked farther down hoping not to be spotted.

     "Are you saying that she'd be in a bad place with me?" Alex said bitterly. Hope slapped my arm making me hit her back.

     "Dude, you're the cause of this. Whatever the hell is going on, I don't think I want Kelley involved." she said moving and walking casually under the bleachers. I sighed and followed behind. "What's wrong babe?"

     "Nothing, just hungry." Kelley said. More like lied. We all sat down and ate food from the community lunch box in silence. It was time to get back to tryouts.

     Our scrimmage was at the same point as last time. 0-0 and not too much time left. Both sides were getting good shots but none that went in.

     I was flanking the side, going as fast as I could without loosing my footing. Everyone else's game stopped since it was soon time to see the results of what team you were on.

     Normally we'd then have first practice with the team but all the coaches agreed on skipping. Everyone was rooting for who had the ball. Currently, that's me.

      I had a defender on my heels. I started cutting to the inside. I let the ball go for a cross that no one connected with. I slowed down but the girl behind me kept going.

     I could feel as her cleat was tearing at my skin, pushing my already low socks and shinguards down even father. I went down and slid due to the muddy ground. You could hear the 'Ooo' of the crowd. I was sitting on the ground frustrated. The other girl just ran off.

     I put my hand to my shin and it stung. I pulled it away to see the blood. I pulled up my sock and the fabric stuck to the red liquid.

     "You alright?" Morgan Brian asked, putting her hand down for me to get up. I nodded and took it, she helped me to my feet.

     I thanked her and ran out the stinging sensation. I went back into position. The ball went in and right into my defensive side. I was checking back while hugging the line.

     My defense got the ball and crossed it to me. I started the attack again but the same girl came and slid right into my shin again.

     The coaches weren't here to call any fouls since they were setting up teams. The ball was still in play but everyone just stopped in their tracks and looked at me.

     "You did that on purpose, what's your deal?" Morgan said getting close to the other girl.

     "Just back off." the girl said. She pushed Morgan at the shoulders. She stumbled back and tripped over my leg, falling on her back.

     "That's it. I'm sick of you." Ali said. She shoved her the way she shoved Morgan, only harder. She went down without tripping over someone.

     "Let's all just calm down and keep playing." I said, getting up with Morgan. The girl took the ball and passed it to another yellow player and everything was back on.

     No one cared about solid positions, everyone was thirsty for a goal. We started an attack eventually and almost everyone was in one half. The ball managed to make its way to me in the middle.

     The same girl of course wanted me down. I could tell she was about to tackle me so I switched my pace, making her miss me completely and run into another player.

     A scream. That's all I heard. One single scream that set me off. A scream that I've only heard recently in dreams. No.

     In nightmares.

A/N:
a wild bling shipper appears