Chapter 36

The initial hell of practice was over, we did our pacers which not even half of us passed. I guess people underestimated it this year since the number raised to 12 instead of 10. After the small group drills, it was time for the hour long lunch break.

     "Tobin! Hope and I are going to lunch, would you like to join?" Kelley said, jumping on my back. I put my arms under her thighs that were wrapped around me and spun her around on my back. "Tobin! Too fast, I'm going to throw up!"

     We started laughing I stopped when I saw a figure watching us. It was Alex smiling at us. I put Kelley down gently and slung my bag over my shoulder.

     "Lunch sounds great." I said, walking out off the field. Saying a few 'heys' to some of the players I was in drills with. As proud as I am, I'm not one to turn my head to players just because I don't know them.

     "Tobin, wait." came the familiar rasp behind me. The rasp that I could have fallen in love with. The rasp belonging to Alex.

     "Going to lunch with Hope and Kelley so I can't talk for long." I said simply. I don't know if I want to give her a chance. I didn't stop walking, I just slowed my pace so she could catch up.

     "Look I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry I acted the way I did. I was a jerk, I know I was." she said pleading with me. I stopped in my tracks, unsure if I heard her correctly.

     She was staring at me with her intense blue eyes. Why is she so stunning. I held eye contact as long as I could until I felt a hand on my shoulder.

     "Leo, Ash, what are you doing here?" I asked, giving them a shocked look. Ash took her hand off my shoulder and Leo hobbled over to me with his crutches.

     "Too you see to nice." he said, engulfing me in a big hug. I let out a laugh and hugged him back. He's like a big brother to me.

     "We came to check out the school, get a good look around at the place. How are tryouts?" she asked, looking around at the field. Leo let go of me and turned to face Alex. I could see him making eyes at her.

     "Um, tryouts are fine for the most part, we're on lunch break. I was going to go with some friends of mine, I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you two joined." I said, watching as Leo started flexing his muscles while holding his crutches. Should I save him from trying with her?

     "Lunch sounds pretty good. Who's this?" Ash asked, looking at the unfamiliar girl. I looked back at Alex who was awkwardly standing there off to the side.

     "This is Alex. Alex Morgan." I said gesturing to her. Ash gave me a look but I shot one back and the emotion was quickly gone.

     "I'm Ash, this is Leo." she said in response. Leo smiled and gave her a wave while Ash widened her stance a bit. "Nice to meet you."

     "Nice to meet you too. I'm guessing you're friends of Tobin." she said, studying Ash. She was wearing a snapback and black ripped jeans with a black v-neck shirt. Her tattoos on display.

     "Yea, you could say that. More like family really." she said, wrapping her arm around my shoulder. Leo joined in and started rubbing a closed fist on the top of my head.

     "Alright, enough guys, enough." I said, getting out of their little torture trap. I got loose and bumped into Alex. We collided and I put my hands on her arms to cushion myself. We looked at each other until I heard a car horn. "That's probably Hope and Kelley, we need to head to lunch."

     "You race!" Leo shouted, taking off with his crutches. He's mastered how to go pretty fast with them. Ash took off after him, leaving me with Alex.

     "We'll talk later." I said, hearing Ash and Leo calling for me in the distance. She nodded her head and looked at the ground. I gave her a quick hug and then ran after the two.

     I didn't want to look back at her. I couldn't. I saw Ash talking to Kelley while Leo was looking at the outside of the stadium.

     "It's pretty nice, right? They just added new rubber for the track, it's really nice." I said, drawing Leo's attention to me. He smiled and nodded. "Alex has a boyfriend by the way. A shit one, but a boyfriend."

     "Long for not." he said, smirking. I loved his confidence. I let out a light laugh and patted him on the back. Good luck with that my friend. I put my bag in the trunk and went to Kelley and Ash.

     "Tobin, why didn't you tell me about your other friends?" Kelley said with a fake look of hurt on her face. What a child.

     "I guess you never asked to know about any other friends Kel, it was always just me and you and that's all that mattered." I said, getting in the middle seat of the car. Ash got in after me with Leo following behind.

     "Lunch is on Hopey and me." she said, earning a groan from Hope. I laughed and leaned forward to Kelley.

     "It's fine, I brought extra guests, I'll pay." I said, getting a look from Kelley. She knew how tight I was with money. That is, until my new job.

A/N:
will talex arise?