Chapter 20

I reached for the ledge and tested my strength quickly, lifting my feet off and hanging for a second, then kicking off the wall and back to the railing.

     I stood there contemplating what I had to lose. A place where I could live or my life itself. Logical me would have said 'hell no' and wouldn't have gotten on the roof in the first place.

     So that means impulse me was taking over, and it had won again. I put my hands back on the ledge and hung there. I started inching my way over to the opening Meghan used to get up.

     I lifted myself and took one hand to hold onto the bar of the railing. I then swung my body and got myself on the platform. I rolled onto my back and let out a sigh. I winced at the aching in my ribcage.

     "You okay dude?" came Meghan's voice again. I shook my head and lifted my shirt for her to see what's causing me the discomfort. "Oh shit man. Why did you continue when you're all beat up?"

     "Because she's strong, and reliable." came Ash's voice. She gave me her hand and helped me to my feet. "Welcome to the gang Tobin."

     Leo walked up behind her and clapped his hand on my shoulder. He flashed a smile at me and then started walking with Meghan.

     "Come on." Ash said, gesturing for me to follow her. I walked beside her as we also made our way across the roof. We got to the door leading to a staircase I'm guessing. Over here there was a pool and some lights strung up along with chairs.

     Leo pulled out a key card and opened the door for all of us. How'd he get that? We walked down and stopped at the second door down. He swiped the card again allowing us to go inside.

     We walked in and it was amazing. They were in a huge ass penthouse. I was intrigued as to what they do and how a few teenagers could possibly live here.

     Dalton greeted us as we walked into the large living room where he was on a laptop.

     "Welcome Tobin. I see you've passed our little initiation." he said, chucking at the end. Leo grinned widely and then jumped on the other boy, wrestling with him a little.

     "Alright knock it off" Ash said. Dalton tapped Leo's arm three times and he stopped. "Where the hell is Christen?"

     "Oh, she's out making sure everything went smoothly with our little job at the station. She'll be back tonight." Dalton replied. Ash nodded and Meghan went up the stairs.

     "Well, I'm going to take Tobin to get her belongings. We'll be back in a few hours probably." Ash said, earning a nod from both Dalton and Leo.

     I followed her to the elevator that would bring us down to the first floor lobby. We then walked to the private parking garage and she got into blue a Chevy Camaro.

     "Don't be a stranger, get in." she said in response to me just standing there. I got in and put on the seat belt. "Where to?"

     I gave her Alex's address so we could get 2 cars to get some of my things in both. Apparently she said I could bring almost everything.

     "Since we have time, I think you should know a little bit about everyone. We'll get into the job tonight during dinner." she said looking over at me. "If you have any questions, save them for the end, I don't want to tell you something I was going to say anyway."

     I nodded and relaxed more in my seat. I was very interested in this 'gang' that I'm now apart of.

     "So Dalton and Leo are brothers who come from a very wealthy family. They have the penthouse as a gift from their parents. If we're ever in a financial crisis which is rare, they are our emergency funders." she said, looking over to me to see if I was still paying attention. I nodded for her to continue.

     "Leo got into and accident and he slept it off thinking he'd be fine. He woke up and now everything he says is backwards. For example, 'I love you' becomes 'You love I'. Does that make sense?" she asked. I nodded in response. That's why he never said anything.

     "He rarely ever talks because he gets upset when people have to take a while to understand the longer sentences he says. He'll speak if he has a little to say but other than that it's all hand signals with him. I'll get to those during dinner as well." she said, looking over to me while stopped at the red light. I nodded again so she could continue.

     "Meghan has a rough past. Her parents disowned her at 14 and wouldn't let her come on their property anymore. Dalton, Leo and I picked her up off the streets when she was 15 and let her join us. She was very courageous from the start and her willpower has only grown." she laughed. She was very determined, that's for sure.

     "Me, I'm nothing to talk about. I was born into the business. My father prepared me for this since I was 12 so I could carry on the jobs. Let's just say he wasn't too careful and he ended up dying." she said, pausing before the last part. She cleared her throat and then continued again.

     "And Christen, well, she's an interesting one. About a year ago she happened to stumble across us during a job when she was roaming around trying to find shelter. Just like you, she was all beat up thanks to her abusive uncle. She was very weak and Leo ended up carrying her to the van and taking her home with us." she said, parking on the street in front of Alex's house. We both unbuckled our seatbelts.

     "Since then she's been a very valuable asset to the team. That's why I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us." came her voice again. She smiled at me and I returned one.

     "I'll go get my car. I guess you can just stay here." I said to her. She gave me a slight nod and I got out of her car.

     I tried opening the door of my green car but it was locked. I sighed and went to the door and rang the bell. I waited for a minute until it finally opened.

     "My mom isn't home so... oh. Tobin... what are you doing here?"

A/N:

Kealia Ohai is my new obsession. I was on the sidelines of the us vs sui game that she came on and got her goal. It was amazing.