Bonus 2

Bonus 2
Soul Mates

I grunted when I heard the whistle blow. I crouched to my knees and heaved a sigh. Shit, not again.

"Silvero!" Coach Raymund shouted from the border line "What in God's name are you playing at? Kick the damn ball, not the assholes! Get out here!"

Napa-iling na lang ako habang tintulungang maka-tayo si Alex. I apologized to him for unintentionally kicking his shin and he tapped my back in return.

"No worries, man. I understand," aniya at ngumiti "It's really hard to shake a recent break-up off your mind."

If only he knew what's been bugging the crap out of me. We clapped and bumped our shoulders as I apologize to him once more.

I frustratedly jogged to the outside where Coach was, keeping my head down and fist clenching as he yelled at me for putting up such a dick play. He didn't miss anything, from me almost breaking my neck while running laps to my inaccurate passes and missed goals. Dinikta niya iyon lahat sa akin habang dinuduro ako.

"I'm letting you off today, Achilles. But goddamn, put yourself together! You're in my field, boy! Do not drag your problems here and create a mess!"

"Yes, Coach," I murmured "Sorry."

"Go change and fix your shit. 'Wag kang babalik dito ng ganyan pa rin bukas or you're out of my team for good." he held the whistle around his neck "Understood?"

I nodded and headed to the benches where our things were. I quickly peeled my damp shirt off and threw it to my bag then I got my jug of water. Damn it! Pati ba naman laro ko naaapektuhan na? Wala na ata akong nagawang matino these past two months. I always spaced out, my mind's off elsewhere and I couldn't lift the guilt off me.

The incident at Batangas was the last time I saw Winiata. She didn't show up to any of our gatherings this summer and we couldn't get hold of her. Her phone's out of reach, her social accounts were inactive and she wasn't in her apartment in Quezon City. Walang nakaka-alam sa amin kung mabuti ba siya o kung ano na ang nangyari sa kanya, but I know Joakim's keeping in touch with her. She trusts him, unlike me. And everyone's been blaming me since then.

Ate Irene's not vocal about it but I know she's quite mad at me. Karlo, Cole and Joakim were obviously on Winiata's side but were still civilized with me. Sina Greg at Ice lang ata ang nakaka-intindi sa ginawa ko, though they didn't approve of what I've done.

I know it's my fault. I know it's fucking stupid. But I didn't regret what I did, at least not my intention to protect her. The only thing I felt guilty about was the way I did it.. dapat hindi ko na lang siya hinalikan. She must've thought I'm a big jerk for doing that..

I was lost in my thoughts when my phone suddenly rang. Hindi ko na dapat sasagutin iyon pero nakita kong si Cole iyon. He seldom calls, and when he does it's often important.

"Yeah?" I answered.

"Great news, hotshot," he said "Though it won't be great for me now because I'm putting my precious ass on the line here—."

I sighed "Cut the chase and just spit it out, Cole."

"Well, Achilles. Win's here."

Agad akong napa-upo ng ayos at halos mabitawan ko ang hawak na jug. Winiata? She's with Cole? I was suddenly alert and nervous at the same time.

"What? Where are you? Why is she with—?"

"No, not here-here. I mean, in Manila. Kaka-balik niya lang kagabi galing Laguna and she's in her QC apartment right now. Joakim told me so and apparently, we're going to visit her tomorrow and take her out. Halos buong summer siya nawala. We missed her."