2

[ c h a p t e r 2]

I usually went on the c-600train to get to IOAS because its hyper extended speed, but since I was running late I knew the trains were long gone. I moved my feet quick and swiftly against the wet pavements. The rain was coming down faster by the minute.

I grabbed the zipper that started at my right knee and pulled it across my body to my left shoulder blade, now there was no way I was getting wet; my cloak was doing a marvelous job keeping me dry.

I moved with the crowd, my feet in sync with theirs. Everyone wore blank expressions across their faces. I swear if it weren't for genders and features you could have mistaken them for robots. To think that human diversity is in the hands of people like me is a bit scary,

It's not that I don't think I can handle it... It's just I haven't seen any one like myself. I'm different than most girls my age, I'm more of a hybrid between the two groups, really I am. I also haven't received the symbol of linzx, basically a special skin indentation on the nape of your neck, like a branding, you receive when you turn eighteen.

I don't know...I just don't go with the crowd. It bothers me how people think they need to change themselves, to fit in with society. I suppose that's why I most of the time I was just getting by in the institution.

I mean how do they expect me to choose a group I don't even know, when I barely even know who I am. I have to choose who I want to be for the rest of my life at the age of eighteen, it seemed virtually impossible to me.

My grades are adequate enough, academically I'm pretty fine, in the top ten of my class. I could have been pretty okay social status wise, I just didn't really like the idea of changing myself. I've always had boy attention, but since

I wasn't exactly like the other girls they were always cautious to approach me. It sickens me how people are controlled by the government from the age eighteen until death. I know all of my rebelling and self expression will come to a halt on my eighteenth birthday.

My eighteenth birthday, it's been something I've been dreading for a long time. I'm seventeen, technically I'm not an adult yet. Therefore, I have the right to dress, act, speak, look, however I please. However, when I turn eighteen I'm all my self expression will come to an end. My constant in-between of the two groups, my meshing will all come to an end.

It's a way that the government knows they have control over us. It's not something I agree with, but I have no other choice, I've seen what happens when you go against them. People get punished, I'd rather not say what happens but it's a cruel world that I live in.

Sometimes when I have extra time, I spend hours in my school library. I read books about what America used to be like. That they actually would get tattoos on their body for fun. Tattoos are forbidden and are frowned upon in America today. We have curfew now, no one can walk the streets during between the hours of 8pm to 4am. In one book that I read people use to have rallies if they disagreed with the government. If anyone tried starting a rally now they would mysteriously "disappear".

I can't help but feel that I was born in the wrong era. I don't belong here, this place isn't for me. I can't hold back my feelings. I swatted at my wrist, tearing invisible chains from me. I know there is nothing restraining me but there will be. I know something's coming, whether its for me or not is the question. I was so lost in my own thoughts that I didn't watch were I was walking.

I felt the hard impact of something cold send me to the ground off the curb and onto the street, I held my hand to my head that was throbbing. I frowned as my apple rolled onto the ground and near a gutter, I was gonna finish that."Damn it!" I muttered.

No seriously, like what the fuck? I looked up and noticed it wasn't something I ran into but someone. It looked like a young man, I couldn't be sure because it was still dark and the figure was wearing a blue hoodie. I knew it was a guy because their stature was muscular and tall. I pulled my backpack higher on my shoulders. I was going to apologize for my careless attention, but when I looked up the figure was walking away.

I pulled my hand back and saw blood, "shit that hurt."

I found myself getting irritated, like you can't at least help someone up. I would have let it go but I was bleeding.  I picked myself off the ground and searched for the man. The rain made it difficult to see but I quickly spotted the blue hooded figure in the sea of gray. I noticed he was going in my direction so it's not like I wasn't walking towards school.

I walked a little faster  to catch up to him, my feet creating a different rhythm then the crowd. I kept my head high trying to locate the figure as I was getting swallowed up in the gray sea of people. I used my small figure to my advantage, I squeezed between others. I thought about giving up and going to school when I saw the blue hoodie, he was only a foot or two away.

"Hey stop!" I yelled still walking behind him quickly.

I noticed a few people stop and stare at me and him. He must of noticed to because he turned on his heels and quickly walked towards me. The few people who stopped carried on walking as if I didn't matter. I felt a little intimidated by the vast difference in our heights.

The first thing I noticed was his eyes and not their color, it was the way he was looking at me, wide and stunned- like he had seen a ghost.

They were dilated and narrowed in on my face seeming to study every feature. He jerked his head to the side. The rain came down in thick sheets, my eyes glanced up at a high speeding train, its pace sending a rumbling through the ground. I'm probably at least ten minutes late for first period, probably not my best decision.

"Hey asshole, if you didn't realize you kind of knocked me down." I fumed.

Pieces of my dark hair flew in front of me, and I looked at the metallic surface roaring above me, in a matter of seconds it was gone, like it never appeared. He looked calmer now less frazzled. His composure coming back to him as his eyes narrowed in on me once more.

"You're very persistent." he commented, completely ignoring my statement.

"Not really, just wanted to let you know that when you knocked me down. Well, I fell pretty hard and now I'm bleeding." I responded.

"Well hi to you too, you should watch your going next time." He noted, running a hand through his hair.

God he was arrogant, interesting, but very arrogant. "12 minutes late" scolded my subconscious.

"I'd like an apology please." I pressed, "This way you might come off better, might not look like such an asshole."

He laughed dryly at my remarks, "We'll I'm sorry miss. My mistake, it won't happen again." he apologized before turning away.

"Wait, I didn't catch your name." I called out.

"Yeah well I don't think we need to be on a first name basis, am I right? I mean I did apologized, now we can go our separate ways. But since you seem so infatuated..." he said coldly "people call me zero."

"Is that your real name, got a last one any chance ?" I asked with a tint of annoyance.

I was pretty sure zero wouldn't fly with hospital records. He looked around for a good while, I thought about just dropping the whole entire thing and just heading to the institution. I was probably about 18 minutes late, awesome, really that's nice.

"Listen, never-mind I have to go. I'm already really lat-"

"my real name is ...harry." He interrupted.

"Well thanks for making me bleed Harry, it was a real lovely encounter, really it was. Just what I needed to wake up, but I'm now almost...half way through my first block! So if you'll excuse me..."

He looked down at me, "and if I don't excuse you? Then what, you'll just have to stay and chat, right?"

_____________________
Follow me on twitter before I get famous lol

Twitter- QueenOzzie