8

[C h a p t e r 8]

We continued to walk through the lush forest, the sky was dark with streaks of dark navy blue fading into black. I could barely see more than five feet in front of me.

While I should've been paying more attention to where I was walking... I couldn't help but wonder what Zero meant the other day by "not exactly human".

I mean what does that mean. It had started raining again, a light shower, nothing too serious. I pulled my hood to my cloak over my head.

As much as I loved the rain it was becoming sort of a nuisance anymore. I glanced at Zero who seemed unfazed by the weather.

"Aren't you cold?" I asked, pulling the hood of my cloak further over my head. He had to be cold, "Look at your clothes." I scolded, pointing at the damp material that was starting to cling to him.

He stopped for a moment glancing down at his shirt, "Not particularly." he said in a low tone, walking faster.

I was curious to know how he worked, what was unique about him, "So do you sweat, I mean you definitely cry don't you?"

He simply shook his head, I was sure he was a robot. I just didn't want to admit it, I didn't want to seem anymore crazy than I already was, "I'm not a robot, at least not- I'm more of a...I'll explain later." He said.

Can he hear my thoughts? Oh my god that's really uncomfortable then he knows like everything, even my memories. Could he have seen my mom and our conversation?

I'm not safe even in my own head. How long had he been doing this? Creepy much, yes. He can't be trusted, he's unstable and that's why he's a threat to the government.

He stopped turning to face me, he seemed guilty his eyes drawing to the floor. Had he been in my head just now?

"You deserve answers." He admitted, "Do you remember when I said you were different- well I can't really hear your thoughts only glances of them, glances of your memories. My abilities falter around you." he said.

"Abilities?" I questioned.

He nodded slowly, "I have a sensory overload that advances all my senses. I'm stronger, faster, and can hear better than you. Even the way I think Natalie. My brain is superior than regular humans, it's why I can hear people's thoughts. Not yours though, their muffled and I don't know why." he said.

(AN// okay bitch okay I'm obviously not over twilight okay lol but for real though that was my life for like three-four years. Brb sobbing. Okay carry on)

I didn't bother holding the hood to my cloak up anymore. I simply let the rain fall on my head, "Oh, well if you had to give your best theory, why don't you think they work on me?" I asked.

"I really don't know why, I'm trying to figure that out, but when I do I'll let you know. Can I ask you a question?"

I simply nodded my head.

"Who's Clayton?" he asked, running his fingers against his pants.

I chewed on my bottom lip before answering to the best of my ability, "I wish I could tell you, but I'm not exactly sure. My mother said he would protect me. I trust her- my mother. If you're not a robot, what are you?" I said.

The rain continued to come down in thin sheets. I observed the surrounding area, following him behind closely as we marched on attempting to find a decent spot to rest.

He shrugged his shoulders, "Uh, it's hard to explain, most people think I am. I'm not good with showing emotions because they didn't want me to show any. When I was just a little boy maybe eight the government took me in to run some tests." He confessed air quoting the word test.