Chapter Nineteen

I walked down to the common room on my way to meet Professor McGonagall. She was coming to the funeral with me. The boys and Lily were lounging on the floor in front of the portrait hole.
"Why are you guys so dressed up?" I paused on my way out. My heart was hammering. I didn't want to go. I really didn't.
"We're coming with you, of course." James said, and they all got up. He pushed it open and gestured me and Lily through.
"Aw, Prongs. You're the sweetest." Sirius walked through, pinching his cheek.
James rolled his eyes. "Ladies first." He agreed.
"You guys don't have to do this--" I began.
"Yeah. But we want to." Remus put his arm around me and led me out after Sirius.
I couldn't cry before the funeral.
"You five are accompanying Miss Taylor?" McGonagall asked.
"Yes, Professor." James said.
We were early, of course. Natalie was already there with that blonde girl.
"Tuney?" Lily asked.
"Freak." The blonde said.
"Hey." James said, putting his arm around her.
"That's Petunia?" I asked.
"That's Natalie?" She said.
The pastor wanted to pray with us before we got started, so I pulled Lily with me, and Natalie pulled Petunia.
That's Petunia? That bitch. I wanted to slap her for all she'd done to my best friend.
Natalie wouldn't sit by me during the funeral, so I sat between my uncles.
I don't think I've ever cried so hard. My sister won't even sit beside me at our parents' funeral.
I stared at the floor, not looking at anybody or anything besides the scratch in the wood.
Apparently we were eating at the church after the funeral, but Natalie hadn't felt the need to tell me. I didn't want to stay, but I knew social norms would force me into it.
My family was excited to see Sirius again, and loved meeting everybody else. They didn't seem to like Petunia much.
The bishop knew Natalie and I didn't get along. She'd told him. But he told us we should sit at the same table. I don't know if he wanted us to do it for show, or because he thought we'd make up and cry to each other, but he was wrong.
It was awkward.
"I don't want to see you again." Natalie said. "Ever."
"Fine." I said quietly.
"Lily?" Petunia said.
Lily looked over at her, seeming kind of shocked at being spoken to directly. "Yes?"
"I don't want to see you either."
"Fine." Lily said.
"You two can't even be decent for a few hours?" Sirius said harshly.
"You should both be ashamed." James said.
They both looked exceedingly affronted. "Why are you telling me what to do?" One of them said. I wasn't even sure which.
"Oh, shut it." Sirius said.
"Are people like you even allowed in a church?" Natalie said.
"Says the atheist." I said quietly.
She gasped, like that had been a rude thing to say. It was simply a fact. "How dare you?" She demanded loudly. Even Petunia was starting to get uncomfortable. At least she had social grace. Everybody looked at us.
I didn't say anything.
"This is your fault." She told me.
"Back off." All four of the boys said at the same time.
Now was the time for me to make excuses for Peter: Why would he come and be so sweet if he was a Death Eater? Death Eaters don't go to the funerals of their friend's parents and tell their bitch sister to back off.
That was especially something big for Peter. He doesn't talk much as it is.
"It is." She snapped at them. "I don't know how, but it is."
I wanted to tell her that they had been coming to get her, but I didn't want her to have to live with that guilt. "I know." I agreed.
"No." The boys said, looking at me like I was crazy. I shook my head at them.
"I'm surprised you showed up." Natalie said.
"It's my parents' funeral." I said.
"So? I thought you'd avoid it like you do with all your other problems."
Like she would know how I handle my problems. "Natalie, please. Can't we just--"
"Just what, freak?"
"Stop calling her that." James snapped.
Natalie completely ignored him. "Just nothing. There's no just. Don't even--"
One of our aunts came up and put her hands on Natalie's shoulders, and she shut up. "Now, girls. What's going on?" She asked.
"Nothing." I said. "Sorry."
"You aren't my mother." Natalie said. "Don't parent me."
"I'm not parenting you, Natalie. I'm trying to stop you from screwing up your parents' funeral. If you're going to fight, please do it elsewhere."
I cast her a pleading look. She shrugged, like there was nothing she could do.
As soon as she walked away, Natalie started up again. "As soon as we leave, I never want you in my sight again. You're a freak. You shouldn't even be alive."
"Shut. Up." Remus said sharply. "You're a terrible person, you really are. Does it not occur to you that perhaps telling somebody to die is rude?"
Sirius put his arm around me protectively. James had his hand on his pocket, where his wand was. If he pulls that thing out...
"I wish she would." Natalie told him bluntly.
"Look here--" Sirius began, standing up. I yanked him back down and hissed at him to shut up.
"Goodbye, Eliza." Natalie stood up. "Tuney, are you coming?"
Petunia stared into Lily's eyes for a moment, then stood up and followed Natalie. "Goodbye, Lily."
"Bye." We both said quietly as they walked away.
I started crying. I'll never see my sister again.
Lily stared at the table cloth, trying not to cry. But she broke down into tears too.
I wanted to leave. I wanted to leave now.
There are so many people here.
"Can we leave?" I whispered to Sirius.
He kept his arm around me. "You're the boss." He said.
"Can I do that?" I asked Lily.
She shrugged. "You probably shouldn't."
Sirius gave her a look.
"What? I'm being honest." She said.
I stopped crying and continued staring at the table cloth.
My aunt and uncle came to sit with us. My uncle pulled my hair until I looked at him. I finally smiled at him. "Hey."
"Hey, girly. How many boyfriends you got now?" He smiled.
"Depends on the day." I smiled back. "Only one right now."
"Aw, what fun is that? Don't tell your aunt, but I got three." He grinned.
"You've got three boyfriends?"
"No. Girlfriends."
"Your secret's safe with me." I laughed a bit.
"You gonna introduce us to your friends?" He asked.
"You've met Sirius. That's James, Lily, Remus and Peter."
"Would it be improper for me to leave?" I asked me aunt.
"No, go ahead. It's okay."
"Are you sure?"
"Yeah. Go on, love. Everyone'll understand."
I hugged her. "I'm so sorry." I said, because her sister had just died. I can't imagine what it would feel like if Natalie died, and she and I don't even get along.
"Me too, honey." She hugged me back tightly.
She hugged all my friends, and we left. We apparated as soon as we got outside. We got in Hogsmaede, and I started crying. So, naturally, Lily started crying too. So we hugged and cried in Hogsmaede for a good while. The boys just kind of watched awkwardly. It looked like Sirius was yelling something, but I think Remus cast a silencing charm between us so we couldn't hear.
"I'm sorry." I told her.
"I'm sorry." She said.