Chapter Fifty-Five

"Think he's done smoking?" Remus asked after a long while of silence.
"Should be." I said, not moving my head from his shoulder.
"I should go check on him. You can go to my place if you want."
"Then who's gonna watch Buckbeak?" I tried for a smile.
"I'll watch Buckbeak." He laughed a bit. "I know you don't like it..."
"I'll stay, I guess. We'll see, though."
I watched Remus walk outside. I didn't want to follow, but I didn't want Remus to suffer that alone.
Sirius tipped the bottle up just as I was walking out, and I surprised myself by continuing to walk out. I guess I was fine since Remus was there.
I knew Sirius wouldn't hurt me though. He may try to get me to have sex with him, but he wouldn't hurt me.
"Look, Padfoot." Remus was saying. "I know you've had a rough three years, but--"
"Rough? That's one word." Sirius interrupted.
The two of them sat on the swing on the patio, watching Buckbeak. I stood in front of them, blocking their view. "Hey." I said, changing the subject because I knew Sirius didn't like to talk about it. "How are we?" I looked at Remus, not Sirius, so I was surprised into obedience when he said "Come here" and grabbed my hand and pulled me onto his lap. I saw Remus tense up and start to say something, but I shook my head, and he stopped, but didn't relax.
Sirius turned the half-empty bottle in his hand, and then threw it off the porch.
I jumped off of him faster than I've ever moved.
"Black!" Remus snapped, irritated, standing too. "What the fuck is wrong with you?"
I heard him following me as I walked to the opposite side of the porch, trying to catch my breath.
"Eliza--" Remus began, but I turned around and went up to him, leaning against him, arms crossed. He wrapped his arms around me and kissed the top of my head. "It's all right." He told me gently. "It's okay."
At least Sirius had the good sense to not get involved.
"I know." I said, sucking in a breath of his cologne.
"Sirius would never hurt you. I'd never let anyone hurt you." He assured me of something I already knew.
"I'm an adult." I said. "I shouldn't flip shit every time someone throws a bloody bottle."
"It isn't your fault."
"I don't care." I said.
"Why don't you go to my place? I'll come get you in the morning."
"No, no. I'm fine." I stepped back. "I'm all right. I promise."
"Are you sure?" He looked skeptical.
"Positive. Thank you." I kissed his cheek and we went back over to Sirius.
"I'm sorry." He said as soon as we came back. He stood, and almost fell back down, but he grabbed onto the side of the swing.
"You should have gone a bit easier on that, Black. Remember you've been dry for three years." Remus said flatly, sitting back down and knocking the back of his knees with the swing, making him fall back onto it. I was sure that was intentional, to get him away from me.
"Thanks for that bit of advice, Lupin. It came a bit too late though, don't you think?" Sirius replied, his words a bit slurred.
"Pardon us for thinking you had common sense." I said.
"Aren't you supposed to be on my side?" Sirius asked me.
"No."
When we finally decided it was time for bed, I told Remus he could go home if he wanted to, but he'd stay in case I needed him. Sirius offered to sleep elsewhere, but I told him I was fine. I was just glad he'd waited for Harry to leave before he decided to get fucked up.
Sirius put his arm around me as we walked inside. Remus raised his eyebrows, and I nodded. He nodded back and followed us inside, locking the door behind us.
"Sirius?" I said.
"Yeah?"
"Get the fuck off of me."
He removed his arm obediently.
"Now go to bed, and I'll join you momentarily." I instructed.
"Goodnight." Remus told him.
We watched him stumble down the hall.
Now I wanted to kick a wall.
"You know what'd be funny?" Remus smirked.
"No. What?"
"Watch this." He gestured for me to follow him.
I followed him down the hall to the bedroom where Sirius already laid in bed. Remus put his finger to his lips and climbed into bed beside Sirius as I watched from the shadows. Sirius rolled over and put his arm around Remus. "Hey, love. I'm sorry." Sirius said, going to kiss him.
"Whoa, Black. I don't like you like that. I'm sorry." Remus said.
Sirius let out a yelp as he jumped away. "What the fuck?" He demanded, falling out of the bed as Remus and I howled with laughter.
"Why are you on the floor, Snuffles?" Remus asked innocently.
"Why are you in my bed?!" Sirius countered.
"I was going to sleep, but apparently you've got more on your mind than that..."
"Get out of my bed." Sirius said, still on the floor tangled up in the sheets.
"Are you going to fix the sheets, darling? You've stolen them again." I said.
Sirius, shaken into obedience, started putting the sheets back on he bed as Remus made him self comfortable on my side. "Remus, love, could you get on the other side? That's mine." I said.
"Yes, gladly." Remus rolled over until he was all the way on Sirius' side.
"Thanks." I laid down on my side as Sirius pulled the blankets over us both.
"Get out, Lupin." Sirius said when he was done.
"But I'm comfortable, Padfoot." Remus whined.
"Obviously he wants to sleep with both of us." I grinned.
Remus burst into laughter while Sirius growled, "I hate you both."
"Obviously not." Remus smirked.
"Fine." Sirius jumped and landed right between us, bouncing the bed. "Moony, turn off the light." He said.
"No." Remus said.
"Fine. We'll sleep with the light on." Sirius said casually.
"One of you turn off the bloody light." I said. I, for one, want to sleep.