Day 5: Youngster Fun

It was such an instense atmosphere between Shikamaru and his father whilst in between them was their precious Go board. Both had their pointer finger and thumb holding their jaw as they pondered deeply.

The cricket sounds just around their yard echoed, shoving away the silence that had been taking over of the two. At that moment, Shikaku moved a piece of Go forward. "Your turn."

"Obviously," quite sarcastically replied the younger pineapple-haired male. It took him a few seconds before an idea popped in his mind. Shikamaru had lifted his hand to move a piece of Go until his father spoke.

"Are you seriously not planning to get yourself a wife?"

?!

"What's with that all of a sudden, pops? Focus on your match," said the latter, trying to avoid his father's question.

But Shikaku wasn't affected by it at all. He moved his face closer to his son's, and asked him with their eyes locked. "How about that woman from Sunagakure?"

Shikamaru flinched a bit; Shikaku's question immediately sent pinkish blushes on the younger lad's cheeks. He couldn't do anything but put his eyes on the Go board. "Just keep playing. Geez."

Seriously, dad...

"You know, as your dad, I can't help but think about you and for your future. If I die and you don't have a wife, the Nara Clan will fall," comically pouted the man. He made sure it sounded more concerning for the smaller genius. "If you're going to tell me about you and her, I might have something to look forward; who knows, I might entrust her the whole clan."

Guys can also be annoying as girls, huh? Especially old men like my dad. He sighed.

To stop his father from imagining too much, he began speaking. It was also his way to defend himself. "We're just friends. There's nothing to look forward to. I don't need a wife to keep the clan going even after you die. You don't need to entrust anyone with whatever, you still have mom," exasperatedly sighing, Shikamaru continued. "You're just starting this to entertain yourself."

"Get a grip of yourself, Shikamaru."

The youngster finally lifted his head, only to notice both Chouji and Ino standing on both sides of his father. They looked...exhausted.

"You two..," began Shikamaru, his brows crooked in question. "Why are you guys here?"

Annoyed, Ino began her reply. "I guess, that's thanks to your dad?"

The young noir-haired lad tilted his head to the side, gazes landed on the hungry Chouji. "..?"

"Well, no matter how we decline, no matter what we say, your dad just won't stop. Unlike you, he doesn't know when to give up."

My dad doesn't know when to give up? What are they saying?

Obviously that Shikaku was the root of everything, Shikamaru finally glanced back at him. "Pops. What are they talking about?"

Only his father shrugged.

"He executed his shadow onto us and tickled us until we spoke about you and Temari!" Said Chouji, unable to keep the secrets in.

About me and Temari?

"Of course, we felt dying! We had to speak!" Added Ino. "I didn't know being tickled non-stop is harder than fighting in a war," mumbled the lass.

"You didn't have to lie, Shikamaru," said Shikaku. "If you're having a hard time facing your fears, I have no choice but to help you with it."

"Dad," annoyed now, Shikamaru continued. "I need no help on anything. We're just friends, that's it."

"People usually start at being friends, then being in a relationship later on. Especially when both of them have the same interest."

He really doesn't want to stop, huh.

"And to put an end to what I started, Ino called Temari over. Is she there yet?" Asked Shikaku, eyes landing at the purple-dressed blonde.

She nodded. "Close by."

"Approach her."

"Dad!" Shikamaru attempted to stop his father but failed so.

"Temari!" Called Ino, right hand waving at her for a hello. "Can you come over here for a moment, please? Shikaku-san wants to ask you something."

Though she shouldn't suspect, she couldn't help so. The action looked suspicious enough to not think about it.

"Dad!" Loudly whispered Shikamaru, attempting to stop him once again.

Though Shikaku could hear him, he didn't pay him any attention at all.

Temari walked towards the group with an expression in question. "Shikaku-san?" She called, telling the oldest man that she's ready to listen.

"Shikamaru wants to ask you something, actually."

Huh?!

"Wh-?!"

"Go on, Shikamaru."

"What are you guys saying? There's nothing I want to-" Shikamaru's words were paused in the mid-air as he felt his world stop.

What's..?

His body began moving on its own, and it stopped just as soon as he reached the last step in front of Temari.

"..?"

Shikamaru moved his eyes below him since he couldn't move any part of his body at all. The shadow..? Seriously, dad.

"All you can do is speak," added Shikaku.

He sighed once again, and mentally scratched the back of his head. All he wished was this to end. However, this might be the perfect moment to tell her what really was in his mind all this time. Shikamaru probably would have to thank his dad after this.

"It's true."

"..?"

"It's true that I'm in love with you. It might not look like it, but I'm saying the truth. I'm telling you this not because my father forced me to, but because I want to. Temari... Would you be-"

"Hold it," said the blonde, her facial expression didn't change at all. "I get what you're trying to tell me. But can you say that to me again once things around us have settled?"

Shikamaru couldn't hide the blushes appearing on his cheeks, though he did his best to stay in his usual composure. "...Yeah."

"And by the time things had toned down, you will hear my response," the lass grinned at the latter, then left after saying her farewell to the other three.

The shadow went back to its owner, and Shikamaru could finally move again. His father was speechless, but Ino wasn't.

"Was that a yes or a no?"

Whilst their eyes were pinned on the walking blonde, Shikamaru responded. "I'm not sure either. All we can do is wait for her response, and we'll know it for sure."

Yeah. "Wait". That's what I've been doing all this time. And I'm pretty sure, it will be worth it.