Day 28: Nightmares

Small Shikadai had captured images of the fearful, dangeous sparks--lightning--as a profound sign of good weather turning unwell. Effortlessly, the little one crawled his way to his mother's empty futon, and opted to sleep there.

As Temari returned from the kitchen, a peaceful, undoubtedly unperturbed countenance of her son came before her. Adorably so, the woman flashed a small smile, one she seldomly show anyone.

Cleaned up and done, the kunoichi shuffled herself under her thick, warm blanket without intentionally disturbing Shikadai's slumber. Slowly, Temari had been succumb into pure darkness, her mind breaching the barrier of tranquility.

"Temari-san, wake up!"

Loud banging on their door, strong knocks one after another in a rapid motion, along with the call of two familiar female voices, had allowed the aforementioned woman to stand from her futon in a jiff, Shikadai shuffling annoyingly because of the noise.

"What's with the hurry? Did something happen?"

"Shikamaru, he...!"

Before Ino could finish her statement, a rectangular-shaped coffin was being brought to her direction.

Fear engulfed her, but Temari didn't let it overwhelm her. "...What exactly is happening?"

The two ladies downcast their heads, coloured optics were seemingly planted on the ground; unquestionably, Ino's eyes were beginning to tear up.

With the situation vividly explaining itself to her, Temari fully accepted her fear, teal-tinted orbits moved themselves towards the rectangular cover, only to be taken aback by the image before her.

It was her husband, Nara Shikamaru.

"!!" Instantaneously, the blonde stood from her futon, breathing heavily from the nightmare hunting her as of late. I hope Shikamaru is okay... I should have come with him, but I can't leave Shikadai alone. She then went back to sleep, yet unable to do it instantaneously.

What am I...?

"Get out of the way, Shikamaru-san!" One of the jounins yowled.

With teammates' aid, the genius was able to avoid death before him. "Thanks!" He expressed openly.

However, the same person who called him out earlier was indubitably in danger. On his left side was one of their enemies approaching briskly.

"Look out!" The latter cried out, but even avoiding it wouldn't save him for it would be too late.

Running out of options, Shikamaru moved swiftly in front of the jounin, and blocked the attack using his own body. The dagger stabbed him right on his chest, blood extravasating.

"Shikamaru!"

Temari quickly sat up, name of her husband coming from her mouth. Her loud call made Shikadai open his eyes in surprise, blinking questionably at his mother's confusing actions--ones he could barely process considering his age and maturity.

"Sorry for waking you up, Shikadai," said her, matching a few tender petting on his head. "Mama's having bad dreams, but they're just dreams. Everything is okay; your papa's okay, isn't he?"

Only response that the kid did was tilt his head to the side, puzzled at what Temari actually meant. Yet, a little later, Shikadai flapped his hands against the futon, facial expression turning into pure cheerfulness, voice squeaking in happiness. "Papa!"

Series of knocks had been delivered against her door, but they didn't sound of in haste unlike the ones in her nightmares. Though unsure, Temari's heart started raising--fear and nervousness mixing.

Hesitant if she should, the kunoichi still did. Intentionally, she hid behind the door as she pulled the knob open, scared to see that her dreams came true. "What do you need?" Asked her, head downcast, eyes pinned at the ground; ears prepared themselves of the worst whilst silence effortlessly covered them.

"Papa!" Called Shikadai again, arms flapping in happiness.

"Shikadai, that is not helping--"

"Papa, here! Papa, home!" Repeated the child. He crawled his way towards the door, arms reaching the sky.

Pair of familiar hands carried him, voice conquered the residence. "How's my Shikadai? Happy to see papa?"

S-Shikamaru...?

"Temari, are you mad about something? Don't wanna see me?" Confused, Shikamaru outright questioned her.

"It's not that, dummy," cleared the woman. "I... Well, a lot has been...," sniffing came evident, so as a few movements at the corner of the door as if she was wiping something off her face using the back of her hand.

"Are you crying?"

"Why would I do that for no apparent reason? It's stupid," retorted her.

Shikamaru placed Shikadai on his left arm, his right arm closing the door whilst he entered. "Why are you...," before him was an unusual figure of his wife, crying of something he couldn't decode the purpose of.

Albeit question was unfinished, Temari still answered his curiosity. "I had dreams, bad dreams, and I saw you... In your mission, you..."

"...Died?"

That scenario was common to any shinobi, nothing of such could be considered as rare. And hearing his wife speak about death wouldn't be as surprising as him growing plain, and unmarried.

"Yeah, I kept having it, I couldn't get a proper sleep... I always see you dying... I couldn't help but w-worry about you, if you're okay, if everything's going smoothly, if... If..."

Temari's solicitude had been cut off when Shikamaru intentionally planted a kiss on her lips, Shikadai expressing his bafflement. It had drawn red noticeable slashes on her cheeks; the urge of pushing him away nor nagging him about what he just did was indeed low.

Not awaiting for something as that wretched fate, Temari had figured being honest would do the trick. She wasn't that type of a person, but there always would be an exception.

"Shikamaru," called her as they broke the kiss. "I... I missed you. And I'm really glad you're okay. I wouldn't know what I'd do if you--"

Small pink lines appeared under his eye, definitely caught surprised at the sudden truthfulness coming out from her. "Y-Yeah, well... Actually, I was, erm...," the man shifted his optics away from her pinned gazes. "...I was thinking about you the whole time I was in the mission. That's when I realised that having someone important, someone you love is waiting for you at home, actually inspired me to finish my work as soon as I can."

"Pfft."

"W-What?!" Argued Shikamaru in pure embarrassment.

"You, quickly finishing your work?" Bantered Temari.

"I wasn't the one who started this!" Fired the man back. "And all of the things I said, that's the only thing you're gonna give a comment on?!" Comically, he continued.

Temari's laugh of amusement echoed around the place, Shikadai finding the images before him rather entertaining. Shikamaru snapped off from being comical in front of his wife, a sincere smile drawing itself on his lips. "I missed you too, Temari."

(A/N: This ship is utterly captivating.)