Day 23: That Time

I was thought to be strong.

And having this kind of life gave me small to no space for emotion in my heart. Most of the people I'd encounter, regardless of gender, age and rank, would address me as the cruelest kunoichi, if not a heartless one.

Marriage has never been really in my mind, but a certain genius from our allied village would always bother me. It wasn't his intention; but all of his movements started to have a meaning to me.

I was really happy when he asked me out. Though I couldn't show my joy exactly as how the other girls would, I agreed to his invitation which he understood the purpose well.

Being a shinobi...

It also requires a lot of mental strength to contain our feelings.

And I didn't realise it would matter to me until now.

"Shikadai!" Called Temari from a distance, arms full with newly-cleaned porcellain plates. "Get ready, we shouldn't waste more time!"

Her son, on the other hand, had responded as quickly as he could. A few minutes leaving his mother hanging would make him get it. "Yes, mom!" Said him, quickly typing out words on his game console to bid Boruto and Inojin his temporary farewell.

The message read:

From: Shikadai
Mom's already calling me. You two well know not responding or not following her orders would most probably mean death. I'll go. You can defeat that demon by yourselves, you can do it!

From: Inojin
You're going already?

From: Boruto
Ah, it's that time! We can't stand without a great support like you, so we'll wait! That one's important, anyway. Take care, Shikadai!

From: Shikadai
Thanks.

Yeah, it's this time again.

Sounds of their utensils clanging simultaneously penetrated their house along with the soft thumps of Shikadai's feet slowly growing. "Mom, I'm ready. Let's go?"

Timely enough, Temari had just finished organising their plates. She removed her apron, hanged it on the table, and cleaned her hands dry. There was no response, but Shikadai could tell that his mother was allowing him to follow her tracks. With such, he placed both of his hands inside his pockets and tailed his parent in pure silence.

Series of steps had been delivered to their destination, until the breeze had begun to lower. The blowing wind felt colder and stronger than usual, but the blonde female paid it less attention.

Shikadai could sense the sadness engulfing his mother, but opted not to speak anything about it at all. I barely see her having that sad frown. She's usually stern, if not hot-headed and cruel. And now, I rarely see her smile since that happened.

"Shikadai," uttered the woman. "We're here."

In front of them stood a rectangular-shaped stone, carved on it was his father's name, Nara Shikamaru. The low weather perfectly matched their situation as it added more grief, if what they currently experiencing wasn't enough.

Two pairs of teal hues pinned themselves onto the tomb, but the little ninja's moved to his mother's present countenance with utmost uncertainty of the reason why he would do such.

Temari sat on the ground, but not completely. Right hand delivered itself on top of the cement to caress it tenderly. Her lips slightly curved upwards, but that was about it; Shikadai could tell it was fake enough to get himself form his own brows in narrow, lips frowning.

Albeit facing front, his optics were locked still on Temari, hands inside his pockets seemingly immovable. A gradual change of expression had flashed vividly before him, and seeing this had himself trap his words into nothingness.

The kunoichi's smile slowly wavered as it was exchanged with a frown. On Shikamaru's tomb were clear droplets of tears from the female, the wind drying it out soon. "Shikamaru... I miss...," her next words came audible when her silent sobbing had taken the best of her.

Having a rare scene like this had little Shikadai anxious for quite a moment, but he knew his mother needed the warmth he could supply for her; she needed that hug no matter. Mentally commanding his feet to move closer to her, Shikadai finally had uncovered his hidden hands to pet Temari on her back.

The demeanour caught the shinobi's attention, permitting her to look at their child to give him that fake smile once again, but the kid freely opened himself as someone Temari could lean on at the moment. No questions asked; Shikamaru's wife embraced their son, and took the time as a chance to break down.

Tears had flown from the brim of her teal-coloured orbits and traced the shape of her cheeks by moving downwards and splashing themselves on the ground thereafter. "I miss your dad..."

Me too, mom. Me too.

Shikadai continued to give her what she needed, now deciding to utter what he had in mind. "I'm sure...dad knew it was coming. He's a great shinobi himself; and definitely, he's not in pain anymore."

"What the hell happened?!"

The question repeated itself one after another, but Temari's had ruled over them. Since in all of Konoha and Suna, counting some of the countries, knew she's the wife of the current head of the Nara Clan, the medic answered her instead whilst the latter's body on the stretcher was being taken to the emergency room.

"They were sent to a mission by the hokage, and their enemies set up traps before he could find out about it. He accidentally stepped on one, and was knocked down. One of the medics we sent there had seen him staggering his way back to our village, so they gave him first aid while they made their way here. He lost consciousness after so we had to hurry and treat him."

The explanation had stopped Temari from drawing her path further. "Shikamaru did...?"

Another medic had came out from the aforementioned room, and stood at the mouth of the door to extend his arm towards Shikamaru's wife. On his palm revealed the male's necklace with his ring on it. "He wanted me to give this to you."

Temari started crying. No matter how she would stop herself from letting it fall, it still did.

Naruto, the current hokage, and his wife, Hinata, were standing behind her; all Naruto could do was blame himself whilst Hinata had given Temari gentle pets on her back along with a warm hug.

The thoughts of being unable to express what she really felt around her husband were flashing itself back; there was a huge regret--Temari wanted to spend more time with him, do things they weren't able to do when they were kids, but it was too late.

They couldn't bring Shikamaru back.