Day 31: Midnight

I could say this is weird.

I haven't eaten anything bad; for some reason, I can't sleep.

Temari had been shuffling herself around their bed for seemingly uncountable times already, sometimes would even resort to counting sheeps yet to no avail.

Hm...

A noticeable movement could be deciphered at the right side of the bed.

Quite guilty that she unintentionally had awoken her husband, teal-coloured optics had dropped themselves onto him. The maize-haired female then battled to herself that it was her fault, and hoping that she hadn't disturbed him enough.

Shikamaru mumbled incomprehensible sets of words; the kunoichi had attempted to decode the statement, but only of her name was the one she was able to gather. "...?"

Expecting there was more than that had disappointed her enough, for there was nothing else after it. He better not be having dirty thoug--

"Temari...," began Shikamaru again. "...don't."

I wonder...

Though shielded with charcoal-coloured night, her teal optics dropped on the bed. I wonder what his dream's about...

Shikamaru, from such a close distance, looked really peaceful, if not angelic. Unknowingly, Temari had her hues pinned at her husband's figure, particularly at his face.

I have never looked at him at this distance... I haven't seen enough of his countenance until know. I was probably blind not to notice that he's actually--

The man shook himself slightly, remaining in place. It surprised the female shinobi.

"?!" Temari could feel her heart beating faster than the usual, and it hadn't drawn much to her aside from when they were dating. Slowly, the tension cooled down as Shikamaru drowned himself back to slumber again.

She savoured the only moment Temari could stare at her husband for as long as she could, until her eyes landed on the genius' seemingly kissable lips--enough to have quite a strong urge to do so.

Albeit it was inappropriate--that the kunoichi would do such when she could just roughly force him to do so. Besides, Shikamaru's her husband; it's pretty normal for married couples to kiss. Yet, doing that would be more wrong, as she thought it would.

Carefully, Temari found herself moving closer towards him until it was only their breathing echoing in the middle of a quiet, solitude night. She arched her head upwards enough to reach the latter's lips, only to be surprised at his sudden movement that had accidentally made them kiss.

S-Shikamaru?! Is he awake?!

Teal pigments keenly scanned the man, checking if he was awake. Thankfully, he wasn't.

Was what she thought.

On the other hand, Shikamaru nervously stared at his wife whilst she made sure he hadn't woken him up. Seeing she sighed in relief, he as well did so, yet well-hidden.

What was she doing while I was sleeping?

He pondered about it quite enough, secretly shuddering upon realisation. She was... She was attempting to kiss me? No. No, she won't do something stupid as... Paying his significant other another glance, he could comprehend that she was embarrassed--either because of that accidental kiss, or Shikamaru's hunch was accurately correct.

There's only one way to know.

Pretending to be back in deep sleep, the male Nara pulled his lover closer than Temari did earlier whilst concealing his nervous breathing, and his heart beating--in hopes not to get noticed. Am I putting my life in line again?

However, Shikamaru could evidently feel that the speed of his own heart beating was being overlapped by Temari's. Albeit quite so, the latter proceeded. The genius began creating sounds of as if he was sleeping as his hands stretched themselves to blindly find the countenance of his wife. Feeling it, he said, "I haven't gently carressed this face that much, right?"

About a second, Shikamaru noticed his most recent stupid move: he had just given Temari an idea that he was indeed awake.

Shikamaru is...?! Temari felt her own heart pumping harder than earlier; she didn't know what to do. Torn in between of roughly stopping him halfway, or letting him do what he wished to, it would seem the second option was getting the best of her.

Ah, shit. I gotta pretend I really am asleep...! Shikamaru, now with greater attempt, had snuggled Temari, pulling away aftet a few seconds then.

Luckily, both of them couldn't see each other for they were both engulfed in darkness. Thankfully, Shikamaru could effortlessly do what he intended to do. On the other hand, his wife could easily yet secretly show him her vulnerable expressions.

You're damn well scary. But I still can't resist you. Seems like that's one of your prowess too. Muttered the man under his breath, but certainly sounded indistinct.

Temari was aware he was telling her something, but she paid less attention for she was currently drowned in such a situation, teal optics seemingly pinned at the latter.

Shikamaru savoured his wife's face by carressing her cheeks with both of his thumbs before leaning in closer. Temari was aware what it would be, therefore had herself clamping her eyes and accepting her husband once again.

Not soon, their lips met.

It only were plain smacks at first--small kisses and pulling back slightly for air, before doing it again. However, the atmosphere began to feel quite heavy as they continued filling themselves up, bodies growing with a great amount of heat. Albeit profoundly aware where this might lead, Shikamaru and Temari allowed themselves to succumb to their need.

Instincts kicking in, Shikamaru unconsciously moved his free hand on top of his wife's leg whilst Temari was giving him all the access he needed. The genius tenderly ran his palm on it, carressing them.

In between their kisses, the man could feel the blonde muttering his name, but he didn't give her even a second to do it so.

The door creaked open, but they were engulfed with their hunger for each other as of the moment that they barely took notice of it. Not even loud sounds of thunder outside could capture their attention.

"Mama, papa?"

Both his parents, rather in a jiff, had stopped their business. Gazes, though surrounded with darkness, and only supplied with little light to see things around, shifted towards where their son's voice was coming from.

A five-year old Shikadai was standing at the mouth of the minimally opened door, eyes being rubbed sleepily by the back of his left hand. "Thunder was loud, it woke me up. Can I sleep here instead?"

Shikamaru began forming excuses to make Shikadai return to his room, yet snapped out of it as immediately. It would be wrong to keep Temari for himself, yet he didn't want the things to end up just the way they accidentally left it to be. Ah, damn.

"...Sure. You can, of course," the sound of hesitation was evidently heard on the oldest Nara's voice which made Temari release a short laugh of realisation, yet incomprehensible for the other to notice.

Little Shikadai climbed on the bed, and lay himself in the middle of his parents. Shikamaru and Temari looked at each other as their son was drifting back to his lost slumber, only to shrug, give each other a goodnight kiss, held their child close whilst holding each other's hand.

The Nara family had a peaceful night, but little Shikadai still refused to admit that the loud booming of thunder that woke him up last night scared him.

(A/N: Road to 199 chapters? :^) Just 199 because one page was occupied with Introduction. x]

On a serious note, do remember that this book won't be prioritised anymore (as I have other stories to finish, and books to update that I kind of neglected to get to this first...!) since it already reached its 30th day, but updates will continue.

Thank you!)