chapter 24: we can never be

Kai

She looked at me. Her eyes filled up with tears and her lips quivered. She couldn't hold her tears back and they gushed down. She sobbed silently, taking her eyes of off me.

She was hurt and pained.

Who was she and how did she know Jay.

All I could think about was what Victoria said. 'She was the girl your half-brother loved....her name was Emelia Harper hart'

I didn't want to believe it. I couldn't believe it. How could the girl standing in front of me be that girl?

"How..do you know Jay?" I asked again. I secretly prayed that she wouldn't say she didn't know who I was talking about and that this was all a big joke.

She didn't.

She looked at me with sorrow. Her eyes showed nothing but pain. I hated seeing her like this

"Jay" she whispered the name " he was my best friend"

Everything came crashing down.  My mind went completely blank and an image of a 14 year old girl appeared in my mind.

I shook my head and stumbled back. "Kai?" She called.

I looked up at her. She was worried. Her arms reached for me but I stepped back.

She looked hurt and confused. I couldn't look at her. How could she be her? How could she be Harper?

"I can't do this" I croaked. My voice broke.

She looked at me confused. "What are you talking about?"

I bit my lip hard. I could taste blood in my mouth.

"We can't be" I spoke, each word stabbing me like a knife. "We can't be together"

She looked hurt. Really hurt

I wanted to grab her and tell her I didn't mean it. But I did. We could never be together.

"Kai, I don't understand" she whispered, tears rolling down her cheek. I refused to look at her and turned around.  I couldn't stay near her any longer.

The more I was here the more it hurt,the both of us.

***

"I haven't seen you in a long time"- a voice spoke from behind me. I puffed on my cigarette and didn't move whilst the figure sat next to me.

"It's been a while, Kai" he said with a smile. I glanced at him.  He hasn't changed a bit.  It's been over a year since the last time we've seen each other.

"Max" I breathed.

Max and I knew each other since we were kids. He was there throughout my childhood and my teen years.

He was there for everything.

"What are you doing here?" He asked me.

I shrugged.  "I needed time to think"

He laughed " I heard you got a girl"

My jaw clenched and I closed my eyes. Emelie's hurtful expression still lingered in my mind.

"Harper" I suddenly mumbled.

I looked over at Max and he looked taken back. "Harper" he repeated.