chapter 28: I'll make it up to you

"Emelie, have some breakfast at least for God sake!" Mom screeched from the kitchen. I laughed "sorry mom I'm going to be late for work!" I told her before running out of the house. I looked at my watch and almost had a panic attack. I had exactly 5 minutes to get to work otherwise my boss would give me another 1 hour of lecture.

This was the 3rd time in a week that I overslept. I still have no idea how I still have a job. Maybe because boss is really nice guy or he's too lazy to fire me.

I ran like I was running a marathon. Luckily my work place wasn't far from home I managed to get there just in time. I huffed whilst resting my arms on my knees. I looked up at the cafe and my boss stood right in front of me. 

He had light brown hair that was pushed to the side. He was tall and build and cute. He was only 21 and an owner of a cafe. "you're late" He said, tapping his finger against his watch. I grinned and fixed my hair by putting it up in a pony tail. "I'm not"

He glared at me "you're late by a minute"

I laughed and slapped my hands together "I'm sorry it won't happen again" I promised him with a puppy dog smile. He couldn't resist and a smile crept up his lips "I'm only letting you go because you're cute"

I felt flattered and grinned like a child. "don't get too happy" he snorted before walking into the cafe. I rolled my eyes and followed behind him. I had 20 minutes to get everything set up before we open.

It's been over a year since I've left school. I decided to get home tutored and finally finished. It wasn't long until I turned 19. It was the summer holiday and I have been working at the cafe for almost a year now. I met Mason- my boss and he offered me a job. At first I thought he was a creep until I realised he was genuine. The cafe lacked girls and had all men which only attracted girls who'd only visit to see the good-looking men. He hired me to get men in and for the first few months I had to go around handing flyers whilst dressed as a cute bear. I swear Mason hated me at first but now he couldn't get rid of me even if he wanted to.

I also haven't seen Nate in a few weeks. We were on the verge of a breakup when he told me that he was in love with me a year ago. We didn't speak for a month until I apologised and we both decided to stay as best friends. That idiot got himself a girlfriend I couldn't be happier for him.

It's also been over a year since I last saw Kai. 

He never came for me. Every night for a month I'd cry myself to sleep. I was broken and even now some days I wouldn't be able to sleep. I had so much hope that if he loved me enough he'd come after me but he never came. As the days went on I lost all hope. I don't think my feels for him changed one bit. Although I'd only think about him once in a while and distract myself from thinking about him, I still loved him. Every time a guy would ask me out, I'd reject him. I wasn't over Kai, not yet.

"Emelie" a voice called snapping me out of my trance. "Huh?" I mumbled and stared up at Mason who stared back at me. "what's wrong?" he asked.

I shook my head "nothing why?"

he snorted and looked down at the table "you've been wiping it for the past 10 minutes"

I blushed in embarrassment and apologised. "I'm sorry, my mind was somewhere else" 

He laughed and nodded "we're about to open and it seems like it's going to be a busy day"

I looked through the window and there was a line of people. I grinned and ran to put my apron on before walking to the door.

The guys smiled at me before we opened the door and a swarm of girls flood in and ran towards the guys. "welcome.." I mumbled but they were already in and ignored my presence. The girls probably hated me for the fact that I was the only girl working amongst 5 other men. It didn't help that all of them would come running to me when a girl would go crazy for them.