Chapter 12: Red's explanation

Red

I knew that Hiccup was mad at Toothless and me. We flew back to the Edge so everyone can hear what I had to say. "Astrid knew that Hiccup would be captured by Viggo. So, she went to him and made a deal with him to pretend to be in his Hunters in exchange for the Dragon Eye. In order for that to happen, she had to make it convincing to us that she switch sides, and she is spying on them to find out more about their plans with the wild Dragons." Heather asks, "But how did you and Toothless know all this time without telling us?" "We send each other arrow mail, so no one would know about Astrid. Toothless and I followed her that night and she made us promised not to say anything about her double life." "So, Astrid actually pretended to shoot us down? Well, that's a relief!" Snoutlout sighs in disbelief. "I knew it was too good to be true that Astrid wouldn't betray us." Fishlegs said in happiness. The only person that didn't say a thing was Hiccup. I looked at my best friend and asked, "Hiccup, will you say something please?" Toothless nudges imploring him.

Hiccup

I was upset that Red and Astrid had a secret together without telling us what was going on. "Hiccup, will you say something please?" Red asks me. Toothless nudges me, imploring me to speak up. I finally said, flexing my wrists, "We're supposed to be a team, Red." She sighs, "I know. I should've told you. I really wanted to tell you the truth, I really do." I looked at her, "But you didn't." "I'm so sorry. But without Stormfly and Astrid's help, those dragons in Outcast Isle wouldn't be safe in another isle." I said, "You could've warn me sooner. I was about to shoot her down with Ryker." Red said, " She's trying to win Viggo's trust, Hic." Everyone looks at her with a shock. "I've known it for a week now and she's trying. We have to let her try, Hic." I placed my arm against the doorway and then looked at Red, "I really hope she knows what she's doing. For all of our sake."

Red

I couldn't sleep after what I've said to Hic. I felt guilty of keeping Astrid's double life a secret from him. As I was thinking, a voice asked, "Can't sleep?" I turned to see Snoutlout. "Hey, Snoutlout." "Is this seat taken?" He asks me, and I gestured him to sit down. "Hey, it's not your fault that you kept this as a secret, Red. Astrid felt the same way when he found out about Heather being a spy for us all along and she knew the truth." "He's probably mad at me... and Toothless." Snoutlout said, "It was a surprise, that's all. I'm sure that Hiccup wouldn't stand mad at you guys forever." "But I lied to him for a week! It nearly drove me insane not to say anything to you guys for a while." He smiles, "True, but you did it to protect Astrid, right? That all that counts." Suddenly I smiled. "Thanks, Snoutlout. You really do have a kind heart." Something inside me telling me that I like him, but it would be impossible. "Well, you should get some rest." I nodded and went to bed.

Hiccup

Wow, it is hard to believe that Astrid would go crazy to go get the Dragon Eye like that. I was beginning to worry if she would be ok out there with Viggo. I really believe she can do this. As I was thinking, a voice said, "Hiccup?" I immediately turned around to see Heather. "Heather." I said in surprise, "I ... I um..." She smiles, "I get it. You're worried about Astrid, aren't you?" I nodded, "Yeah, I am. I just-" "Can't believe that she would do something crazy? Hiccup, she is doing this for you! I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't." I sighed. Toothless stares at me apologizing  look. I smiled at him, "Toothless, I forgive you. You know how much I cared about Astrid. You were trying to keep her secret safe. Thank you." He licks me with happiness that I forgive him. "There's one more person you should forgive too, Hic." Heather points out. I remember who. "Red." She was my best friend, and she still is. I should talk with her tomorrow. "You're right. I should forgive her. She's probably felt guilty about all of this, isn't she?" "Hey, this reminds me of when I was spying for you, now it's reversed! Wow, Hic, this is weirder than usual, Don't you think?" Heather asks. I laughed. "Yeah. You can say that again, Heather."

Author's note: What you think will happen next? Find out soon! - Jan