Chapter Seven: A Death in the Clan

Chapter 7: A Death in the Clan

Ferncloud went out near the Clan's border to look at the river flowing. The river was the boundary between them and Oakclan. Ferncloud went there during her spare time. The river comforted her.

Ferncloud laid down, resting her head on her paws. She sighed. "Something's wrong." she said, quickly getting up. She unsheathed her claws and looked around. "Who's there?" she growled. "Show yourself!"

A rustling in the bushes near her answered her. A black cat with white stripes sprang out, long, bloody claws ready to swipe. The cat cut her paws and then her eyes. Ferncloud was blind. She was terrified, pinned to the ground, and had no one to save her. The heart of the Clan was deep in the birch forest, and there was no way she could get them to hear her. But she yowled anyway. "Help!"

The cat laughed. "No one is going to help you. This is just a warning for the rest of your Clan." he growled. And with that, he bite into her neck and left the limp body of Ferncloud on the ground. He jumped into the river before running away to clean him of his scent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Death has struck. The mist must save the Clan, fighting with thunder, rose petals, and snow. It must! It must!" the starry cat screeched. Mistypaw felt like she was dying. Her vision was clouded, and she was bleeding badly. 

"Who are you?" she cried.

The starry cat walked up to her and looked down. Mistypaw felt memories fill her head with images of Winter. The starry cat's black eyes looked exactly like Mistypaw's....mother's.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mistypaw woke up. She wasn't drenched in sweat or trembling. She had a nightmare, but for once slept peacefully. Mistypaw was still confused about why the starry cat had shown images of Winter, unless...the starry cat was Mistypaw's mother. Mistypaw pushed the idea out of her head and padded out of the den to see the Clan crowded in one area. Mistypaw pushed her way through, up to the front, and saw what it was.

It was the dead body of Ferncloud.

"Clawfur and Sunleaf found her." Thunderpaw, who had already been awake and was beside Mistypaw, whispered. "She was murdered..."

All of the Clan was upset. The mountain of prey did not even help. Glimmercloud's new kits that were born that day even seemed sad.

Mistypaw felt like she was going to cry. She quickly ran out of the Clan to where Ferncloud died by the river, then burst into tears. "She was the best deputy I've ever known, even if she was the only one...Ferncloud, please go to Starclan. I can think of no place better for you now. Please...go there and stay with my family. Tell them I will avenge them...and you."

Thunderpaw sat next to her, wrapping his tail around her. He didn't cry, just looked into the river. Mistypaw leaned against him, tears wetting his fur. "I'm sorry.." she whispered, sniffling.

"It's fine. Let it out." He rested his head on hers. "I'll be with you every step of the way through this."

And for the first time in awhile, Mistypaw felt hope.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

READ

WRITE

MEAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP