Chapter Twenty-One: Brothers

Roseheart ran to the edge to watch Mistyleaf, with Snowflake and the kits behind her. Clawstar was standing in shock, but he recovered quickly. He crept up to the cats and went to push Roseheart off, but Roseheart scented him and turned to pin him down. Clawstar growled while under her and struggled to get her off, but failed.

Mistyleaf was doing the impossible. She jumped down the gorge using the ridges she found sticking out. "Thunderclaw!" she called, jumping again. But there were no ridges left to jump on, and Mistyleaf fell, screaming in fear as she fell under the water.

Thunderclaw swam around in the gorge, looking for a pawhold or something to keep him from floating away. But it was dark, and he couldn't smell anything but salty water. Suddenly, claws dug into his side and he started flailing his paws around. His claws raked down something's side and he heard a yowl of pain. Shadow locked his claws onto Thunderclaw's shoulders and dragged him underwater.

Snowflake and Roseheart heard a faint howl from the gorge, and they knew that they needed to get down there. Snowflake considered Mistyleaf's way of going down, but Mistyleaf was quicker and could stay on the slippery ridges longer. Snowflake knew that she'd just fall off. Besides, Mistyleaf fell in like that and it wouldn't be good if all of the cats did.

Clawstar muttered something under his breath, words that Roseheart (who was listening to him) couldn't understand most of. The one word she could hear was "night". And right after that, another cat, black as the night sky, slammed into her. The two wrestled, giving Clawstar a chance to get up and attack Snowflake.

Mistyleaf choked and coughed up water, only to choke again. She couldn't keep herself above water much longer; she was exhausted. "Thunderclaw!" she coughed. "Help!"

Thunderclaw couldn't get Shadow off. The two sank down to what seemed like an endless point. Thunderclaw felt his conciousness ebbing away when he heard an extremely faint cry from above the water-"Help!" He kicked Shadow in the stomach and started swimming up. Shadow was stunned at first, but quickly recovered and grabbed Thunderclaw again. Thunderclaw clawed his right hind leg and forced himself to keep swimming up as fast as he could. Both cats were weak from being without air so long, but Thunderclaw wouldn't let that keep him from getting to Mistyleaf.

Snowflake heard Roseheart yelp in pain, and she spun around to see Clawstar about to lunge at her. She kicked him and ran to Roseheart's aid, biting at the cat on top of her and throwing him off. The cat looked strangely like Shadow, with jet black fur and long claws. But his eyes were not a furious red, they were a pale teal. Somehow, they reminded Snowflake  nothingness...

"Night!" Snowflake cried. Roseheart stared at her, bewildered. Night blinked and started purring.

"Snowflake..." he meowed.

Snowflake jumped on him, purring and licking his flank. But Night threw her off, and Snowflake looked heartbroken.

"Who's this?" Roseheart asked finally.

"My...brother...well, mine, Mistyleaf's, and Shadow's. Night, how could you come here and fight for them? 

Night just stared at her. His expression went from emotionless to sad, and no words could make Snowflake understand better what he was trying to say.

Mistyleaf felt herself becoming weaker as she struggled to keep herself above the water. She couldn't yell for help anymore, as it would make her weaker. Ravenclaw's scent drafted into her nose. She wondered if he would rescue her, but his scent became fainter and fainter until she couldn't smell it at all.

Thunderclaw felt dizzy, but he kept going. Lightheadedness wouldn't stop him from getting to Mistyleaf. He pushed himself upwards, telling himself to never stop.

Finally, Thunderclaw reached the top. He took in a deep breath of air in relief, and called for Mistyleaf. Thunderclaw didn't hear a relpy, so he sniffed the salty air for a waft of her scent. When her sweet scent reached his nostrils, he followed it.

Snowflake had always known Night was mute. After Winter's death, the two had stayed in the den for a bit. Snowflake had realized that Night was born without a tongue. She had found another way to communicate with him, and the two never left each other's sight. But when a strange cat came and took Night, Snowflake had no idea what the cat did to her loving brother.

Night looked sorry. He refused to look up, and his paws were crossed. Snowflake couldn't stand the sight of her brother being so sad, and padded up to him. "You can join BirchClan," she meowed. "Mossystar will let you; I'm sure of it."

Mistyleaf couldn't ignore the fact that Ravenclaw wouldn't be able to rescue her like he did with the Twolegs. She had to get out on her own, but she had no idea how.

A flash of black caught the drowning cat's attention. She heard her name, but knew if she spoke then she would choke. But Mistyleaf knew exactly who was there: Thunderclaw.

Thunderclaw was having a hard time as well. He had a fear that Shadow would come up from the water and drag him to the bottom, and he had no clue where Mistyleaf was. But he wouldn't stop looking. Until he was standing next to her pretty gray pelt, Thunderclaw would never stop searching for her.

When her scent got stronger, Thunderclaw knew he was close to her. The only problem once he found her was how to get up. Thunderclaw looked at the ridges that Mistyleaf used to climb down. They could claw their way up if they could just get on the bottom ridge...

Roseheart had been too busy with Clawstar to watch Snowflake try convincing herbs brother to join BirchClan. Clawstar had pinned Roseheart to the ground and was about claw her neck. He had covered her muzzle so she couldn't call for help. Roseheart couldn't let it end like this, yet there was nothing she could do that would change it.

That is, until Thunderclaw barreled into Clawstar and knocked him off her.

Roseheart sprang to her paws and saw Thunderclaw with one paw on Clawstar's neck and the other trying to help Mistyleaf up. She ran over quickly to help, growling at Clawstar first.

Snowflake and Night each picked up a kit and ran over. Thunderclaw looked about ready to collapse, and Mistyleaf was barely conscious.

When she got off the ledge, Mistyleaf staggered over to Snowflake and Night. Night purred softly, kicking the wet warrior's ear. Mistyleaf returned it and whispered, "I knew you'd come back."

Thunderclaw watched Mistyleaf reunite with her family, or most of her family at least. Only Starclan knew what happened to Shadow. But Mistyleaf didn't seem to even be thinking about his death. She looked too happy to finally be with her true family: her two siblings and two Clan-littermates.

To Be Continued

FINALLY DONE WITH THE CHAPTER! I worked on this for two weeks because my stupid writer's block created a brick wall between my ideas and the writing section of my brain. I hope you enjoy anyway, the chapter is a tad bit hard to decipher (BIG WORD O_O). Eh...

READ

WRITE

MEAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP