Chapter Eleven: Leaf-Bare Ice Warriors

Mistypaw had started visiting the lake that caused the rivers more often. She never swam in the lake or rivers after "the accident", but would put her paw in the water and swoosh it around. Sometimes she'd catch a fish; and sometimes she'd go with Thunderpaw and try pushing him in while he'd try holding his ground on the edge of the land. They had started hanging out more often, many times with Snowflake too. Rosepaw was starting to feel angered and left out.

"Hey, Rosepaw!" Icepaw called from the lake. Rosepaw was hunting on the boundary, and looked up.

"Yeah?" she asked.

"It's leaf-bare!" Icepaw responded.

"I know. Why are you pointing out the obvious? I can't find any prey." Rosepaw grumbled.

"The lake is frozen! We can play Hunter!" Icepaw shouted before dashing over to Snowflake, Thunderpaw, and Mistypaw.

Rosepaw pricked her ears. Hunter? She loved that game! "Hey, wait up! I want to be the Hunter!" she called, running across the log and to the lake.

Ashpaw, Rainpaw, Reefpaw, Fangpaw, and Ravenpaw followed Rosepaw. They were all supposed to be hunting for training, but nothing could get between a BirchClan apprentice and the frozen lake.

"Yahoo!" Icepaw shouted, gliding across the ice. "This is so fun!"

Thunderpaw got on the ice, trying to keep his balance when waiting for Mistypaw and Snowflake. "Are you guys going to come?" he asked.

"I'm not comfortable with any type of water at the moment..." Mistypaw mewed.

"I won't leave my sister." Snowflake said.

"Its frozen solid. We won't drown or get dragged away in logs on it." Thunderpaw told them.

"Fine." Mistypaw grunted, carefully placing a paw on the ice. Snowflake did the same. Mistypaw smiled slightly, then pushed Snowflake, sending her flying across the lake.

"Aahhhhhhh!!!!" Snowflake yowled, unsheathing her claws and digging them into the slippery ice. "Mistypaw!" she growled, clawing her way back. Mistypaw was laughing her head off, but hadn't gone on the ice yet. "Your turn!" Snowflake yelled, pushing Mistypaw.

Mistypaw's eyes were wide with terror as she glided across the ice. Tentatively, she put her paws out. Then she moved her left hind paw, making herself move. She did it again, and started skating. "Wee!" she shouted. "Snowflake, get your butt over here!"

Rosepaw, on the other hand, was standing next to Rainpaw and staring at Mistypaw. She couldn't back out when the cat that almost died from a river is skating around. Rainpaw locked tails with Rosepaw. "You ready?" he asked.

"If you are." Rosepaw answered. When she got a good look at him, Rosepaw decided that Rainpaw was kind of cute.

The two started gliding along the frozen lake. They stayed next to each other. Rosepaw smiled at him. "Let's play Hunter now!"

"Hey, everyone! Let's play Hunter!" Rainpaw called. Almost immediatly, all of the apprentices skated into a circle with Rainpaw and Rosepaw.

"Dibs on being the Hunter!" Rosepaw shouted.

Mistypaw spoke up. "What's Hunter?"

"It's a game where we have to skate across the lake and back over and over until we're caught by the Hunter. The Hunter is the Twoleg with the gun trying to catch us, so we'll have to be fast. And this time, Rosepaw's the Hunter. If she touches you, you're dead and you have to wait on the land for someone to win. If the Hunter trips or falls, the cats win." Thunderpaw explained.