Chapter Nineteen: Battles

Snowflake watched Mistyleaf run, and knew something was up...again. "Sunleaf!" she mewed.

Sunleaf walked over and Snowflake coughed a bit. "Snowflake, you should go see Leafpelt," he said.

"Forget about that. Something's wrong. We need to follow Mistyleaf," Snowflake rasped. Reluctantly, Sunleaf nodded and set up two patrols.

"BirchClan! Something is wrong. We are going to follow Mistyleaf and see where she goes," he announced. "There will be two patrols. The head patrol will be lead by Snowflake. I will lead the other. Snowflake, choose who you will take."

Snowflake was surprised. She'd never been in the head patrol, nor ever lead it. But she knew what to do somehow and started calling out names. "I will take Roseheart, Ashfur, Icecloud, Rainstorm, and Russettail!" The cats called walked up to Snowflake obediently. Roseheart licked Snowflake's ear and smiled. Snowflake smiled back.

Sunleaf nodded to Snowflake. "I will take Fangheart, Rivertail, Reeftail, and Poppyfur!"

Mossystar emerged from her den. "I am coming too."

Rivetfur padded to her leader. "We need help protecting the Clan's heart," she mewed.

Mossystar shook her head. "I have one life left. If I am to lose it, it will be fighting for my Clan. I will fight!"

A chorus of cheers came from the BirchClan cats. Mossystar looked at Rivetfur and said, "Go tell the other Clans. We will need as much help as we can get." She then turned to Snowflake. "I will be joining your patrol."

Mistyleaf ran at top speed, tracing Thunderclaw's scent trail through the birch trees and across the log. She stopped at the entrance to DeathClan's forest. "Thunderclaw, why did you go in there?" she mewed to herself.

"He wants revenge," a voice that Mistyleaf couldn't mistake said from behind her.

"R-ravenclaw?" she mewed, turning around. "Ravenclaw!" Mistyleaf ran up to Ravenclaw and nuzzled herself against his fur, purring and licking his ear.

"Your Clan is coming. Rivetfur is getting the other Clans. And Thunderclaw is in grave danger. You are the mist, my love. You must save him," Ravenclaw said. "We can't be together forever like I hoped. But I am happy that Thunderclaw is your match. And I will help you save him."

Mistyleaf looked at Ravenclaw. She noticed he looked lighter and a bit see-through. "Thank you," she mewed. The two ran dashed into the dead trees, following Thunderclaw's scent.

Ravenclaw came to a stop. "He's in the heart of their Clan. The shadows of night are coming, Mistyleaf. I will assist you when the time is right," he growled before vanishing.

"Ravenclaw, don't leave! No!" Mistyleaf cried. But it was useless. She was alone once more.

A voice echoed in her mind. "The shadowy claws of death shall come at night to fight with bones. Their goal is to conquer the mist. But the mist will fight back with the thundering heart of rose and flakes of snow. The raven's sacrifice will save all."

Mistyleaf understood. Clawstar and Bone would battle herself. Thunderclaw, Roseheart, and Snowflake would help her fight. Ravenclaw sacrificed himself so Mistyleaf could win the battle. But Mistyleaf couldn't figure out what the voice meant by the shadows and the night. She decided that Clawstar would fight at nighttime looking like a shadow.

Mistyleaf ran into the camp, pouncing on the first cat she saw. A familiar scent drafted into her nostrils. Clawstar!

Snowflake and Roseheart, with the rest of their patrol behind them, darted across the log and into the forest. Their paws ached but they refused to stop.