Prologue

Flashback (Bucky at 6 years old)

It was a regular day for 6 year old James Buchanan Barnes. He was playing outside in his backyard, the sun was shining and he was swinging on the small playground his dad built for him last summer. The only thing different was that he had a flower crown on, a pink skirt on, and white t-shirt. His mother, Winifred, was inside baking cookies for her family, and her husband was watching James from the window with a stern look on his face.

"What's wrong honey?" James' mother asked her husband from the stove. He turned to face his wife who was putting plates in the cupboards. "It's James,"

"What about him? If this is about the neighborhood kids bothering him I already told him to play in the house and-

"No, it's about what he's wearing," he replied and his wife looked at him startled. "George, we discussed this. James is different yes, but we need to be supportive of his decisions, he's still our son," her husband crossed his arms and continued watching his son who jumped off the swing causing his flower crown to come off.

"And who gave him that flower thing? I did not approve of that!" his voice boomed and James looked at the window to his dad and frowned not understanding why his dad was so angry. He picked up his flower crown and placed it on his head and continued playing.

"My sister made it for him, she even taught him how to make them," she replied to her husband who was red with anger. "We need to talk,"

James' mother knew this time would come. The day her husband couldn't handle how different their son was, so she went to the drawer next to the sink and pulled out an envelope. It was divorce papers, she was sure this would happen so when her husband took the paper in his hands he looked at his wife of 10 years, looked out the window to his son, and walked off with the papers.

That was the last time James saw his father, and he didn't even say goodbye. His mother told she kicked him out, which was half true, but James knew the real reason was because of him. After a few months without his father, he asked his mother if she blamed him for his dad leaving- and she simply replied, "Of course not James, he just didn't understand you. It's better this way and don't think for a second that I don't love you,"