Twenty One

"So, up until a year ago, I had a boyfriend......" Ian squeezed my hand reassuringly, "And we were together for a few years. B-but one day...." The tears began to fall. "H-he got in a car with a drunk m-man, and they c-crashed." I couldn't hold it in any longer. I pressed my face into Ian's shirt, sobbing uncontrollably. 

"Oh my god, Natalie." In said in a soft tone, holding me tight and stroking my hair. "I'm so so sorry."

I nodded, still huddling into his chest. I knew he meant every word. I also knew he would be there for me throughout everything from now on. 

We sat in silence for at least half an hour, with the occasional sniffle from me. I found myself drifting off to sleep, exhausted from the day's events.

I was in the hospital, when the nurse came through to the waiting room.

"Miss Shipman?" she asked, looking around.

"That's me." I said, standing up.

I followed her through to his room. 

"Good news," she told me, "he's okay."

I smiled at her and opened the door.

"Hey baby." I said, kissing his forehead.

"Hi." he replied, smiling at me. 

"How are you feeling?"

"Good as new." he said, pointing to the stitches on his chest, "As soon as this has healed, I'll be ready to go home."

"That's good, babe." I replied, lightly tracing around the wound with my finger.

"That tickles." he said softly.

I giggled and planted another kiss on his lips. 

"Do you want some water?" I asked.

"Yes, please." he answered.

"Okay, I'll be right back." I said, before scurrying out of the room to get a glass of water. When I returned, he was sat rubbing his hands together, as if he was warming himself up.

"Are you alright?" I handed him his water, concerned. 

"Yeah," he said, taking a sip, "I just got really cold all of a sudden." 

"Oh, would you like me to turn up the heating?"

"Can do."

Just as I was about to walk across the room to the heat controls, he started twitching. I turned my head to look at him. His body was shaking furiously. He was having a spasm.

"HELP! HELP!" I shouted at the top of my lungs. 

I ran to the door screaming for the doctors to come and help me. Then they came. Three doctors came into the room and gathered around him. I backed away to the wall and fell to the ground, tears streaming down my face.

Suddenly the spasms stopped and everyone in the room fell silent. One of the doctors, a woman, walked over to me, failing to make eye contact.

"I'm so sorry," she said quietly, "he's gone."

It took a second for me to register. But soon the screams came. Liam was dead.