Forty One

I spent a few hours racking my brain for ways to make it up to Amy. I had sort of come up with a plan in the short time span in between the group chat conversation and getting ready for dinner at my parents' house. It went kind of like this:

1. Order pizza to Amy's house with an apology note.

2. Talk to our friends about it, especially Joseph, and find out their opinions.

3. Find out if Joseph returns Amy's feelings. If he does, I'll get him to talk to her and sort something out.

4. Make sure everyone starts including Amy in everything and stops focusing on me all the time. Now that I'd realized what was happening, I also realized that I didn't like being the center of attention and I wanted it to stop. 

When I'd finished typing up my plan (it was flawed but it was all I had), I started getting ready for my family dinner. I quickly showered and then slipped into a silver, patterned dress. Then I dried and straightened my hair, styling it in a half up-do and then adding a white bow to accessorize. Next it was time for make-up. I wore concealer and powder on my face, with light silver eye shadow and thick eyeliner, topped with a few coats of mascara. I finished the look with a light coating of blush and bright red lipstick. 

Yes, I know I like to keep my make-up simple, but that doesn't mean I can't get dolled up if I want to.

Satisfied with my final appearance, I picked up a small makeup bag and filled it with powder, mascara and lipstick before throwing it in my handbag with my phone, purse and car keys. 

Slipping into some black pumps, I headed out of the door. 

The drive to my parents' wasn't long, only around fifteen minutes. So I found myself pulling into their drive way before I could get to my favourite song on the playlist.

Oh well, it could wait until the drive home.

As soon as I walked over the thresh hold of their front door, my parents were stood in front of me, staring me down as I stood there.

"Hello Mum, Dad." I smiled with a nod in both of their directions. 

Mum smiled back and pulled me into a tight hug, kissing my cheek in the process.

"Hello Hun!" she released her hold on me. "How was your trip?"

"It was great!" I replied, vaguely acknowledging her as Saskia walked into the room.

"Sas!" I exclaimed, running up to her and hugging her with more enthusiasm than with my mum.

She hugged back, clearly as happy to see me as I was her. 

I pulled away and gave her a stern look. "I need to talk to you."

"You need to talk to the both of us!" my mum interrupted, grabbing my arm and leading me to the living room. 

"Keith!" she called over her shoulder. "Please could you finish cooking the vegetables?" 

"Of course, dear." my dad replied, knowing that he probably didn't want to hear the conversation that was about to take place. 

I sat down on one of the brown leather sofas, with Saskia sat directly beside me and mum sat on the arm chair a few feet to my right. 

Saskia gave me an expectant look. "Spill." she ordered. 

"U-uh, well," I stuttered, "I met Ian at the meet and greet Amy took me to..."

My mother nodded for me to continue. 

"And I kind of embarrassed myself, really..." That was it, I started telling them the tale of the past week, only stopping just before I told them about him asking me to be his girlfriend, when we were disrupted from a loud bellow from the kitchen. A sound I'd grown to know and love as I grew up in this house. And that sound was my dad, when he called out:

"Food's ready!"

Author's note: That's pretty much me. The sound of my dad calling out that food's ready is like the sound of angels singing in my ears.