chapter 20

"Miss. Walker the doctor will see you now" the receptionist leads Rami and I to the private room where the doctor will eventually meet us, "so do we get to see the baby today?" Rami ask once we're alone "no, today the doctor is going to do some blood test and get our information" I tell Rami and he nods his head. "Hey Clair how you feeling?" my cousin Marissa/ doctor walks in "I feel like absolute shit but whatever" "he well that's what happens when you're pregnant by the way congrats can't wait for the next party" she jokes. "So Clair just tell me everything, all your symptoms, all cravings, I know all of our sides medical history so you mom's side," The tall dark skinned woman says.

 "Okay well I found out last week, I think the baby was conceived at the party so I think I'm two months along. Umm, I have a lot of symptoms and their really intense too. I'm tired all the time, my breast are sore, I have really bad morning sickness which really last all day, my feet are starting to get swollen, I get really bad migraines, I'm peeing every 20 minutes. I'm always in the mood, I can't sleep well and I'm always hungry" I list all my symptoms "Okay that's all sounding pretty normal so far, so tell me about the medical history on your mom's side" Marissa says while writing down what I've already told her "well everything is pretty normal no cancer, there're diabetes and high blood sugar, one of my mom's cousins is epileptic and one of her uncles was schizophrenic" I tell her everything I know "okay so it seems there is diabetes in both sides of the family so you need to watch your sugar intake, you could develop gestational diabetes. That's just diabetes during the pregnancy" she informs me.

   "Rami can I have some medical history from you family," Marissa ask  "umm we're pretty healthy my father had a heart attack and passed but other than a couple high blood pressures here and there that's it," Rami says "okay so if you guys go upstairs so Clair can get some blood drawn we can have the results of everything ready for next week, any questions?" "Umm, my favorite cousin would you be able to pull some strings and get the results faster?" I bat my eyes "fine Clair, I will drop by your house tomorrow with you results" Marissa smiles at me and gets up but Rami ask her "when will we be able to see the baby?" "oh, I completely forgot I set up an appointment for next week Monday at 5 PM I know how much you hate missing school Clair" and with that, she left the room.                            

                                                                             ~~  

   "So everything looks normal except for your hCG levels, those are really high," Marissa reads off the chart in her hands  Rami and I look at each other nervously and hold each other hand. I place my free hand on my stomach and ask Marissa "is there something I could do? Is it really that bad? What does that mean?" Marissa smiles at us and says "it's not bad depending on how you look at it. hCG is just a hormone produced in the placenta" "okay so why would it be so high?" I question feeling a little better "well in most cases when the levels are this high it means your not having a regular pregnancy. It means you're having twins" Rami chokes on his water he hears the news. 

"Twins? are you sure?" he asks her "no not entirely. In some cases, it doesnt mean that there are twins" she tries to cheer us up. "Oh, god twins" Rami lays down on the couch and puts his hands over his face "hey you're a twin" I scold Rami's whining. "I can check to confirm, if you want I brought my stethoscope?" Marissa offers "yes please," I say I lay on the couch and lift my shirt Rami comes beside me and holds my hand. The cold metal sends a shiver through my body as the doctor moves it around my lower abdomen, "definitely twins. Do you guys want to hear?" she confirms the number of babies growing in my stomach and puts the earpiece in Rami's ears. "Oh my god I can hear them. I can hear their little heart beats. Clair listen" Rami pulls them out of his and places them in my ears. thud thud thud thud I heard my babies heart beat for the first time, it sounds like their already fighting, to see who's heart can beat the fastest, I wipe a tear from my eye and smile up at Rami "those are our babies".         

"well I have to go home I have a long day tomorrow. See you guys in two months remember your OBGYN appointment on Monday" Marissa hugs me and walks out the door. "holy shit Ram, we're fucked" I sit on the couch and put my hands to my head, "hey you don't stress yourself out that's my job I'm the one that's going to get stressed out." I lean on his shoulder and sigh "I gotta go to bed" I get up and drag myself to bed even though I know I won't get al ot of sleep.