The new house pet

Written 2012 by VeGirl

"I don't trust her," Stefan mumbled.

"I never trusted her," Damon said with a glare at his brother. I didn't get it at first, but Elena looked hurt and Stefan almost hissed at his brother. It didn't take a genius to understand that something had happened between Stefan and Rebekah. Wow! Recently? I wondered if I ever would get the whole story.

I was pondering about that when the others were trying to be rational again. "And was it such a good idea to get her de-daggered?" Damon added cynically.

"So what do we do?"

"First of all, either of you two are leaving this house," Stefan said protective, gesturing towards Elena and me.

"What? Why me?" I was startled. "He doesn't know me!"

"Let's keep it like that!"

"But... but..." I didn't know what else to say. I thought about what my mind told me earlier; that somebody could use me and my knowledge against them. I would do anything to prevent that. "I'll stay," I resigned.

"Good girl," Damon said. "You'll come with me," he ordered and I was both surprised and flattered.

"What am I, your new pet?" I mumbled and wondered if he was going to say heel next.

He smiled his confident crooked smile. "Here kitty, kitty..."

I couldn't help but to smile back and shake my head. He swung an arm around my neck and pulled me along. I realised that we were on our way to his bedroom, and I didn't know how to get there; I had never seen the directions on TV. Amazed I did my best to look around in this old house, with old paintings and artefacts. I was quiet and Damon finally wondered if I was okay. I turned and looked at the gorgeous man with an arm around my neck and exhaled. "Everything is just weird, I'm sorry if I'm being difficult." Honesty was the best defence and we were alone together.

"But you are not being difficult, that's the weird thing. In your world vampires are just a myth you say, and then you're okay hanging out with us, even though you are fully aware of what we are." He had a completely puzzled look on his face. "I don't even have to compel you," he said astounded.

I wanted to laugh or at least giggle a bit at his surprise, but all that left my mouth was: "Not like your ex..."

"Exactly," he exclaimed, acting as if this revelation wasn't surprising at all. "If I wanted to speak the truth to her, I had to make her forget or tell her that everything was okay afterwards."

"Yet it wasn't," I filled in.

"Exactly," he emphasised and stared amazed at me. Here I was; walking around in his house knowing all of his secrets, and even then I didn't feel scared.

I actually felt safe in his presence.

It was a strange feeling to walk into his bedroom; I had seen it so many times on TV, but here I was, standing in the middle of the room.

"Are you sure you want me here?" I asked dubiously.

He slid his arm off of me and held my upper arms instead. "You're staying where I can protect you!" His tone was really sweet, but demanding; he wasn't taking no for an answer.

I watched him in amazement for a while, as I realised that the feeling of being starstruck had left and without any doubts; I put my trust in this man. He was no longer a fictional character and I did my best to cope with this new situation. "Where can I put my things?" I asked sarcastically, as all my belongings were still at the hotel.

He smiled cheeky. "What do you need?"

"Something to sleep in, for starters."

He gestured to the big four poster bed with his trademark crooked smile. Did he expect me to sleep with him? A whole new kind of nervousness ran over me. I faked a sour look and pursed my lips at him. He chuckled, opened the door to a walk in closet, reached in and threw me a t-shirt of his.

"A toothbrush," he asked and I nodded. "Anything else?"

My heart rate went up. "Some clean underwear?" I retorted cocky.

"Do you want us to go pick up your stuff at the hotel?" He smiled at me.

"Yes, please; that would be nice."

"Come on then," he said and offered me a hand. "Come here, kitty, kitty."

Without any hesitation I took his hand and we walked down the hallway to leave the house. I kept looking down at our hands, with the fingers intertwined as if we had been together for a lifetime.

Me and Damon Salvatore.

With a look up in Damon's eyes I managed to produce a: "Meow," just as we passed the parlour. I did my best to sound like a cat and it looked like Damon would crack laughing, but he kept quiet as we left the house, got in his car and drove off.

~~~Authors Note ~~~

Damon is not the only one who enjoys to provoke people around him. Nice to see Emma getting a little irritated, no?

Hope you enjoy! And don't forget to vote if you like it. / VeGirl

.