Revealing secrets

Written 2012 by VeGirl

~ ~ ~ ~

I want to say thanks to ImRamdom04 as well. Hope you'll enjoy!

~ ~ ~ ~

It was late afternoon, almost dinnertime, when we got back to the boarding-house. We stopped on the way and picked up some Thai-food. Stefan and Elena met us in the parlour and we went to the kitchen to sit down by the big table where we ate the dinner.

"Any news about Klaus?" Damon asked, not knowing how we should break the news.

"No, haven't heard anything," Stefan said. "But he's not really the kind of person that calls ahead..."

"So, where have you two been..." Elena asked.

"We've been cuddled up at Emma's hotel." Damon was quick to answer and glanced a look in my direction. I smiled secretively at him and chewed lightly on my lower lip.

We were almost finished with dinner when Damon and I started to twist and turn, not knowing where to start telling them. He nodded at me and I shook my head and nodded back at him.

"Okay, what's going on?" Stefan said, looking at us both.

Damon didn't really know where to start. "You have been visiting this house more frequent than I had over the years... did something changed just before I came back, this time?" he asked, and I was impressed by the lead-in.

"What do you mean?"

"Some sort of wiring or something electrical?" I suggested and Damon looked at me nodding.

"What's going on?" Elena asked impatient.

"Please think hard, you too in your house, Elena. Did something get installed that summer before you two met?"

They both looked at us like we had lost our minds, but then Elena said: "Nothing since the smoke detectors..."

"Ah, smoke detectors!" both Damon and I exclaimed.

"Yes, that's right, Zach installed smoke detectors..." Stefan added thoughtfully.

"Bingo!" I said.

"Explain yourself!" Stefan said and his voice was hostile.

Damon pulled out the floor-plans of the house, with the markings he and I had put there.

"Oh, there is probably one outside the cell in the basement as well..." I said as we were about to explain.

"You know about the cell in the basement?" Stefan said and glared at Damon, who looked innocent and then annoyed.

"You and I are going on a fast check of the house. We're looking extra at these spots and we're also checking for more smoke-detectors. We believe there are cameras in the house..." Damon finally explained.

"Cameras?" Elena cried out. I nodded and put a finger in front of my mouth for her to keep quiet. "Why? And how do you know?" she whispered and looked around the room.

"I don't think there are any in here..." We all looked around and didn't find any in the kitchen.

"We're hopefully safe here..."

"So, you and I are going on a quick sweep of the house and take out a few of these cameras, but not all of them. I believe some sort of company will get in touch with us if they don't 'work properly'." Damon said.

Wow, I hadn't thought of that! "You and I will distract the footage," I told Elena. "We'll go in the parlour, so the guys can get around fast and not be detected," I suggested.