Hard to ask for help

Written 2012 by VeGirl

The entire day people were coming and going and the house really felt like a boarding house instead of a home. Jay, the computer-genius left around noon and got himself a nice going away present, called amnesia. The guys were very generous!

The doorbell rang almost constantly; people were coming and food was delivered; most of the people were still eating food and I tried to look the other way when the tumblers with red liquid started to show everywhere; or at least to ignore the stench.

It was hard to find somewhere with peace and quiet in this busy house. I found myself now and then sneaking up to Damon's room and just lie on the bed, trying to contemplate my life. I was on my way down the hallway when I walked in on Caroline and Klaus standing in the hallway. I backed up quickly, you know, peeping Tom and all.

Klaus was holding Caroline's hand and it looked like he was examining her bracelet. "Thank you, it's really beautiful." Caroline said quiet.

Klaus shrugged. "Birthdays should be celebrated!" He lifted her ornamented hand and kissed it. Caroline looked at him like she really liked him.

What the...

"Emma, you can come out now!" Klaus called and looked at the corner where I hid. "I can smell you, luv!"

I stepped out, trying hard not to stare at them. "I didn't want to ruin your moment," I mumbled and walked right past them. "Don't mind me." I was dying to tell somebody, but realised that if I did I would be in a real load of trouble. I kept my mouth shut.

In the parlour the girls sat and I sat down with them, trying to keep up the conversation and not to think about what I had seen in the hallway and what the hell that had been about. Caroline had said so much negative about Klaus, and then... What?!

"Bonny, can I have a word with you?" Damon came and interrupted Bonnie, Elena, me and Lucy as we sat in the parlour talking. The guys had destroyed the last of the cameras in the house and it was such a relief that we could now talk freely. The rest of us were on edge and he rolled his eyes. "Yes you can all come if you think she needs leverage." So we all got up and kept the two of them company out in the back yard.

"So... this is very hard, but I have a question to ask." He twisted and didn't really know where to start. "When Jeremy died, you were able to get him back. I would want somebody back; would you be able to do that?"

"No Damon! I had help from the dead witches, and they all felt I used my powers for the wrong reason and cut me off from their power."

"I was afraid you were going to say that."

"There were consequences, don't you remember?" Bonnie tried not to remember.

"Yes, but that's been all sorted out. You fixed it!" Elena objected.

"Elena I can't jump whenever you flick your fingers." Bonnie and Elena were staring at each other and I knew there were things between them that were not really sorted out.

"Who is it?" I asked.

Damon was still looking at Elena fathomless. "It's Lexi."

"But you didn't like her. I mean, you were the one that killed her!" Elena looked puzzled.

"I know that!" he snarled. "But Stefan misses her, and so do you Elena."

"You would ask for that for their sake?" Bonnie asked surprised.

"Yes. I know I did wrong when I killed her; I was going through a selfish faze," he grimaced.

"That lasted 145 years?"

He sighed, shrugged and smiled sarcastic. "Yeah, pretty much. But Lexi was Stefan's oldest friend and I killed her just to get the town off his and my back. That was the wrong reason for someone as good as her to die."

We all looked at him in silence; I guess nobody thought they would ever hear something that selfless from him.

"And Elena, when you and I had our little road trip we met Lexi's boyfriend, he was devastated. You saved my life, and I know you and Stefan are going through a rough time since Klaus, maybe Lexi could help you."

We kept looking amazed at him for a while; nobody knew what to say.

"I'll do it!" Lucy broke the silence. She had been quiet this whole conversation. We all flipped our head in her direction. "I'll do it. I know a couple of witches; necromancers and I'm sure they will help if I ask them."

"Why would you do that?"

"I've never heard a more selfless reason, especially coming from a vampire," she added with a quirked eyebrow and a smile.

.