A good day to die

Written 2012 by VeGirl

I woke up the next morning with a headache that was threatening to crack my skull open. I stirred in bed and tried to open my eyes, but closed them fast and moaned.

"What is it, sweetie?" I heard Damon ask.

Oh no! How embarrassing to be such a cry baby, I thought. "Migraine," I moaned.

He got up and closed the heavy curtains, bathing the room in soothing darkness. I breathed slow and fought the nausea; I did not want to puke in his presence and definitely not in his bed.

"What can I do?" he asked concerned.

"In my bag there's a box of pills, called Zumo. I need one and a glass of water." I focused on my breathing as I heard him searching around my bag, unable to find them.

"Oh no!" I suddenly remembered that I moved them to the other bag, the one I left at the hotel as I hurried to pack my bag. I explained shortly and tried to think about how long a migraine lasted, I remembered something about 48-72 hours. Oh no, please somebody just shoot me!

He was fast by my side, trying to comfort me. "Is there something I can do?" His voice was filled with concern.

"No," I aswered quiet, that was really not the answer I wanted to give him, and this was not the impression I wanted to leave. I whimpered and wanted to cry, I just couldn't because I most certainly would have thrown up or maybe my head would explode.

I crawled in foetal position and wanted to die. Damon lay behind my back for a while, he was all still and said nothing; I was grateful for his deference.

Suddenly he moved and I felt something pressed against my face. I tried to protest and opened my eyes but it felt even more like my head would explode. I moaned but his arm was pressed against my mouth. I gripped his arm and tried to squirm away. What was wrong with him, couldn't he understand I was in pain?

"Drink up honey," he cooed in my ear.

What did he mean by drink? I could feel something wet against my mouth but his arm was in the way and I didn't understand. Then it hit me; he wanted me to drink his blood? Yuck! Now I was certain I would gag.

"Come on sweetie, drink up!"

I opened disgusted my mouth and noticed surprised that his blood didn't have the awful coppery taste I feared. This wasn't that bad, weirdly enough, but it sure was weird!

"Don't drool on my white sheets, now," he cooed and I could hear the humour in his voice. "There, I think you had enough now, sweetie," he said and pulled his arm away, held it up and I could see the wounds heal.

Wait a minute, I could see? Yes, my headache was gone! I turned and watched his face. "Wow!" I breathed. "It's all gone!"

He smiled and analyzed my face. "You drool, vampire girl..." He smiled and wiped the corner of my mouth with his thumb.

I still watched his face in amazement. Then it hit me. "Wait a minute, won't this make me? No, I have to die to become a vampire, right?"

He smiled. "Yes, you did your homework. Now, we only have to make sure you won't die today," he said with worry shadowing his face. His face suddenly changed expression. "Or better yet, let's kill you today so I can keep you, pet." He smiled.

"Wow, I've never got a death-threat before..." I said, shrugging my eyebrows, and then I pondered over what he said. "You would want to spend an eternity with me after knowing me for a day?" I said amazed. "You're a true romantic!"