Secret hideout

Written 2012 by VeGirl

Damon took me by the upper arm and dragged me out of the Grill and toward his car. He opened the door; "Have a seat miss Emma!" he said in a clipped voice. I snickered and put my shades back on.

"That was fun," I said as we drove off. "But isn't it hard to be pissed off all the time?"

He looked at me. "Like I said yesterday, sarcasm helps..." He smiled. "You of all people seem to know that it's just a reputation; you might actually be the only one..."

I smiled back at him. "Thank you." I looked away for a while thinking hard if I could tell him that I knew his secret and finally I decided. "I even know about that night when you laid in the middle of the road, when Rose had died," I admitted quietly. He snapped his head my direction and looked at me astonished. "When you said that you missed being human..." I continued, even more quiet.

"How the..." he blurted out and stared at me suspiciously.

"I would never tell anyone, I swear to God," I promised, looking him straight in the eyes. I had been crying when I watched that episode on my tv even though I knew it was just a tv-show, or at least that's what I thought.

He kept looking suspicious for a while and then it was like he relaxed. It must be hard to always being alone with your secrets. I didn't say anything more but I noticed that he passed the driveway up to the house. I looked at him with question visible on my face.

"I want to show you something," he said and kept driving.

"What?"

"You'll see."

He drove out of town and then into the forest on a small road. There was a roadblock that said 'Private property' but he had a remote which opened the boom so we could pass. It was a small road with trees close by on both sides and I looked up at the sky, where I could see birds flying high above us. When there was no more trees I looked out over a beautiful little lake with a waterfall. The sun shined straight at it; making a sparkling rainbow appear.

"Wow!" I breathed.

"You like it?" he asked. Just by the lake were the most beautiful log cabin. "It's mine. Nobody knows about it, unless you already knew...?"

I shook my head slowly. "Oh I know far from everything! Wow Damon, it's amazing!"

He parked the car and was fast by my side to open the door for me. "May I please show it to you, Miss Emma?" he asked formally and I nodded enthusiastic.

He took my hand and led me to the front porch, It felt amazing just to walk with him hand in hand. There was a porch swing, just the kind I loved, but was hard to get hold of in Sweden. He opened the door and stepped aside.

"Would you please come in, Emma?"

I smiled at him and took a step inside the house. After a small hallway we stepped into a combined living room and kitchen with huge window panels that showed an amazing view of the lake and a big patio outside. The living room had a big stone fireplace and a couch by it. It was nothing like the boarding-house, of course much smaller, much more light and it felt more like a home to me.

I spun around and faced him. "This is the most beautiful place I have ever seen."

He smiled and I got the feeling that he had a bit hard to take a compliment when he had no sarcasm to hide behind. "I've had it a couple of years, not even Stefan knows about it..." I felt honoured and didn't know what to say. "I've never taken anyone here..."

I looked at him dubiously.

"You're not like anyone I have ever met, Emma."

"You can't mean that." There wasn't anything special about me, I was just ordinary.