Chapter 18: Her Story..

**TRIGGER WARNINGS**

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Mark Fischbach

A few moments of silence surpassed the two of us, until I finally spoke up.

"So um... What's your story?" I inquired, smiling genuinely.

"You sure you want to hear my story?" Rebecca raised an eyebrow, unable to hide her smile.

"Yeah.. I'm um.. interested in you.." I responded shyly, scratching the back of my neck.

"Well okay.." Rebecca sighed. "Um.. I was born on June 12th 1990.. My mom and dad both died when I was quite young, so me and my older brother were in a care home for most of our lives..." She didn't dare make eye contact with me. "He was always looking out for me, he never let anyone pick on me, he protected me. And when we got out of the care home, we didn't really have anywhere to go so we resorted to becoming criminals."

"But he's older than you, so wouldn't he have had to leave first?" I asked innocently.

"There's only a two year difference between us, he was 16 and I was 14, he helped sneak me out and we decided to join a gang." Rebecca continued to explain, "The gang was good for a few years but then things started turning ugly. We made our way to New Jersey and that's when..."

"When... what?" I uttered softly.

Rebecca squeezed her eyes for a few moments, a tear trickling down her cheek. "When... The police caught us, and they shot my brother dead, and to this day I can't ever forget his face.." Rebecca almost broke down, but she managed to refrain from sobbing uncontrollably.

"Aw man.. That.. That must've been hard..." I spoke softly, feeling so bad for her.

"After my brother died, the gang became a whole lot worse, I was the only female left, and they abused me and treated me like shit. Circular karma eventually made its way round and fucked them over, but then I was left to survive on my own, and that's how its always been for me... For years now.." Rebecca quickly wiped her eyes, no longer bothered about her arm.

"I'm so sorry, Rebecca," My heart sank, "I'm sorry you went through all of that." I said softly, my arm slowly going around her shoulder with uncertainty, unsure how she would react. She didn't flinch at all when she felt my arm, "You're one strong girl, Rebecca. I see it in you..." I continued. "... Especially when you saved us back there, boy, I thought we were dead. I'm thankful, Sean and Felix, are thankful you came, and from now on..." I said, sighing with a smirk on my face, "-You're part of the group, we'll protect you... I'll protect you."

Rebecca looked down at her arm and raised an eyebrow, "You did a pretty lame job of that earlier.." She couldn't help but giggle, her face tinting crimson red.

"Gee, thanks." I chuckled, getting my phone out to check the time. Rebecca peered over to look as well.

"Damn, it's only 4 in the morning.." Rebecca commented, rubbing her eyes.

"Are you tired?" I questioned without thinking.

"I nearly got hit by a shotgun bullet, what do you think?" Rebecca glanced at me, a playful smirk set on her face.