Chapter Twenty-One

We did as we said, ditching the rest of school and going to the mall. We drove in her Jeep, and it was quite easier than I thought skipping school would be. I felt free, but bad at the same time. Even though I know this is something Cathy does all the time, and she reassures me that everything will be alright.

We entered the mall, being almost like the only teenagers in the store. We picked up a couple of Latte's from Starbucks and continued roaming through the store in search for a dress shop.

"So, are you going to tell me why you kissed Tucker?! This is huge!" She said in shock.

"No it's not. It just happened--"

"Don't you dare tell me it just happened! What is going on?" She continued to ask.

"I kissed him because I like him!" I shout, shocking the both of us.

I mean, I knew I liked him, but I didn't ever think I'd say it out loud and actually admit it to anyone.

But it doesn't matter anymore, since he proved me wrong. 

"I knew it!" She replied, pointing her finger at me.

I folded my arms. "It doesn't matter anymore, so who cares?"

"What happened?" She shot me worried eyes. "This is why you wanted to ditch school isn't it?"

"I was proven wrong." I said, still feeling that lump in my throat. "He doesn't like me."

She furrows her eyebrows until stopping me to wrap me in a hug. "You can't get caught up with guys like that, Eli. It never ends well, trust me."

She reassures me, and I do understand and feel better in some way. I kissed a guy, who is way out of my league, doesn't even like me that way, and someone who already had a girlfriend, who is the total opposite of me.

Pretty, thin, perfect.

Something I can't provide for someone like Tucker. I mean, what was I even thinking?!

"Look! It's the store!" Cathy gasped, grabbing my arm and dragging me into a small shop full of dresses and party outfits. 

She began roaming the racks, pulling off dresses she wanted almost immediately. She looked up to me.

"Do you need help or...?" She trailed off.

I nodded. I had no idea what would look good on me, but I wanted to be unrecognizable. 

She began to rummage through the rack behind me, pulling off at least ten dresses I'd never wear. Guess she knew my objective.

"Here." She said placing all the dresses in my arms. "Go try them on."

I did as she said. Trying on every single dress.

The first one, too pink. 

The second, too sparkly. Almost like a freshman's first prom.

The third, too long.

The fourth, too short, even though Cathy liked the look on me.

After more and more failed attempts to find myself a dress, I stumble upon the last on on the rack. A little red dress.

With a sigh. I slid it on. Zipping it up to the best of my ability. Then I stepped in front of the mirror, ignoring my mess of a hair, and darting straight to the dress.

It was tight, accentuating my curves, and everything else about me. I immediately felt insecure. I didn't like bringing attention to anything on me. This is something that would look great on Diana, but me on the other hand...not so much.

I stepped out of the changing booth finding Cathy or her phone. Her eyes dart up to me and immediately widen.

"Holy shit, Elise! You're hot!" She said.

I laughed. "Thanks?"

"You're definitely getting that dress." She demanded.

I grabbed the tag on the side of the dress and looked at it.

$150

There's no way I can afford this.

"Yeah...no..." I said.

"I'll purchase it for you! Elise I'm not kidding, you need to wear that dress." She pleads. 

"I'd never use you like that, Cathy. We'll just find something cheaper." I replied.

"Take it off and hand it over. I'm buying it no matter what you say. My family is rich, Elise. An indent of $150 isn't going to do much." She reassures me.

In my family, $150 would be for our groceries for two months. That just was all we could afford.

"Are you sure? What about your dress?" I question frantically, still feeling bad for agreeing to her offer.

"They didn't have anything my style. I'll put something together at home." She replies.

"Now, take it off!" She shouted, excitedly.

"Alright, alright!"