Chapter Thirty-Two

As soon as we pulled into the school parking lot, I was getting stares from everybody. He didn't ask me to duck under the seat or anything. He got out of his seat and rushed over to my door before I could get it myself.

"Thanks." I said, getting out. He shut the door behind me, which was when I really got a glance of the whole school staring me down. I've never gotten this many stares since I was in middle school. The day I spilled my lunch on myself in front of my crush.

I was known as 'gravy girl' for the whole year. Middle school wasn't exactly my brightest years.

I felt my heart racing with all this attention as it was a mixture of shock, and disgust. That's when I felt Tucker's arm snake behind my waist, bringing my body closer to his.

"This way, clumsy." It's been a while since I've heard that nickname.

He guided me through the crowd, seeing as I looked nervous as hell and froze in my spot. Walking into the school didn't make it any better as there were more people and more stares.

"ELISE MARIE CARSON!" I heard Cathy's voice shout from across the hall as she made her way towards me. Tucker's grip tensed more.

"Don't worry, she's my friend." I told him, relaxing him somewhat. As soon as she met me, I don't think she noticed that Tucker was right beside me until she was here.

"Oh..." She said. 

"Hey." Tucker's hand shot out. "I'm Tucker Vincent---"

"Yeah, I know who you are." She raises her eyebrows and folds her arms.

I always knew Cathy wasn't exactly fond of Tucker but I never knew as to be the type of person to despise him.

"We'll talk in class." Cathy says before walking away.

"You have some weird friends." Tucker laughs.

That's when both Jay and Ethan came bombarding through the hallways with the rest of the football team cheering behind them.

"Says you." I replied. "What are they even doing?"

He shook his head. "They always give each other pep-talks before the game. Which just so happens to be tonight."

"Are you going?" I question.

"Me? No." He shook his head once again. 

"Why not? It seems like fun--"

"Well if it isn't the one and only house maid." Ethan greets me with his sarcasm.

I roll my eyes. "Surprised you even remembered."

"How could I not? You were completely shit-faced--"

"He means to say we always remember a pretty face." Jay chimes in.

Everyone seems to laugh except Tucker.

"So, are we just going to stand here awkwardly or is someone going to tell us what's going on between you two?" Ethan says, bouncing his eyes between both Tucker and I.

"We're just friends." Tucker says. There goes that 'friend' word again that always seems to feel like a bullet through my chest. "Have you guys seen Diana?"

I glance at him, but he doesn't look at me. Did I do something? This seems to be the first he's actually cared to talk about Diana since yesterday.

"Hasn't everyone?" Ethan laughs, whilst Jay nudges him.

"She's apparently tied up with another boy." Jay says. "She's over you, completely. And she made sure to have everyone know it."

That's when Diana comes through the hall. It was like a red carpet was rolled out right in front of her with paparazzi everywhere. She wore a small red dress and black stilettos. Obviously trying to make a statement.