Chapter Thirty-Four

"Are you alright?" Thomas questions, breaking the silence between us.

"Yeah, I'm good." I replied.

"He didn't...you know...hurt you in anyway, did he?" He asked.

I shook my head. "No."

"Good, because I would've kicked his ass." He jokes, although in someway still sounding serious. We both laugh.

"I'd love you to." I respond.

More minutes go by before he says more.

"If you're cold, just go ahead and turn up the heat. I would do it...but you know...my arm." He points out.

"Right." I said, turning up the heat to 74 as I was a bit cold.

It wasn't until shortly that we arrived. We both exited his vehicle, as I threw my bag over my shoulder once again.

"Here." He offered his one hand out to take my bag.

I shook my head. "I think I've done enough damage on you."

He chuckles. "Fair enough."

We made our way into the field and climbed onto the bleacher taking an empty row in the front. I sat down, the cold metal sent chills up my spine.

I knew I should've brought a jacket, with the weather changing and all.

Thomas must've noticed me shiver because he was quick to take off his Varsity jacket and offer it to me.

I shook my head once again. "I'm fine." I smile.

He swings it over my shoulders anyways. 

"Thanks." I reply. The jacket smelled strong of his cologne. It wasn't nearly as great as Tucker's, but it was still good.

God, why am I thinking about Tucker right now?

"So, what were your plans for our project?" He asks as the coach blew the whistle, allowing the players to start.

I pulled out a book from my bag. "This one's my favorite."

"Hamlet?" He questioned confused. 

"It's about a Prince named Hamlet, who is depressed who was taken out of a school in Germany to go back to his home in Denmark to attend his father's funeral. His mother has already remarried to his surprise; it's an interesting story all in all." I explain.

He raises his eyebrows. "You sure do know a lot about this stuff." He said, taking the book from me and looking at it from all angles as if he has never seen a book before.

I shrugged. "I've always wanted to be a writer. My mother even once gave me this journal for my birthday."

"What stopped you?"

I shrugged. "I haven't seen my mother in a while. I guess it just hasn't been my top priority at the moment."

"You should never give up your dreams." He says.

"I'm not necessarily giving up them...just putting them aside. You see, my mother's hurt. Mentally and physically." I tell him, which I don't even know why I am. I guess I just feel comfortable. 

"Everybody gets hurt, Elise." He says. His words hit me. 

It was a silent stare between us. Lasted for about ten seconds until the coach blew the whistle again and the players went to the side lines to take a break.

One after another took off their helmets as they took a drink from their water bottles. One face I did recognize. It was Ethan.

"Ethan!" I called out. He turned to my direction with confusion until his eyes met mine. He jogged over to me, climbing onto the bleachers and walking over to me.