Chapter 23

I drop max off at the house, and leave my suitcase by the door. I don't have time to unpack or do anything. I just hope Max doesn't destroy the house while I'm gone. It could be all night that I'm gone. I refill the bowl with water, lay out newspaper, and fill the other bowl with food. I give Max a kiss on the head, and run out to my mum's car and speed to the hospital.

The next couple of hours go by quickly as I sit by my mum's side, waiting for the results. I can tell the results will be bad. Whenever something is very wrong I feel it. When my mum came down with a sickness that left her in the hospital for 6 months I knew it before she told me. 

"Mum just hope for the best, I love you." I tell her, squeezing her hand. I can tell she's staying calm for me, I'm quite emotional and she knows that if she starts crying so will I. I notice how fragile she looks, I never noticed. She can't weigh but 100 pounds, she's so small. How did I never notice?

Her hair is thin, dry, and damaged. Her skin looks sad, spotty, and very unhealthy. "Mum it's okay." I say, hugging her, as she starts to finally cry. I can feel her rib bones as I hug her, and I pull away. "Mum stay optimistic, you can pull through whatever is wrong." I tell her, and she nods. I hope she believes me.

The doctor comes in with his clipboard in hand, and he pulls his glasses off of his face. "I have some bad news, I'm so sorry." He begins, coming closer to us. I squeeze my mum's hand, and push closer to her. "Sharon you have Cancer." He says, looking down at us. My mum and I just stare at him. The words he just said couldn't possibly be true. "No." I sob, standing up and going towards him.

"Please tell me this is some kind of joke. She's always been healthy, she's a good person, she didn't do anything wrong. Please." I beg, somehow expecting this to just make her cancer go away. I know it won't. The doctor looks at me and just shakes his head, "Sorry." 

I go back over to my mum and lay next to her and caress her hair as she continues to stare blankly at him. My mum's mum also had gotten cancer, and passed away from it. Mum never wanted me to go through what she had to go through as a child. "Mum. We can do this together." I whisper to her, and kiss her forehead.

"Also." The doctor starts, and I look up to him. "The cancer is quite far along, she's going to need medical attention soon. As soon as possible. You have no time to waste right now." He tells me, and flips papers on his clipboard. "I will go and get you some treatment centre's to call." The doctor says, and he walks out of the room. 

My mum finally bursts out in sobs, "Mum please." I beg her, trying to calm her. "We can do this, you'll get through this. Want to know why?" I ask her, and she looks to me. "Because you're strong. You're the strongest person I know. Look at you, you've raised a girl all by yourself, and you've always had money, and we've always had an amazing home, and you did it all by yourself. Every time I had an issue you helped me with it, all by yourself, you have to admit that you're incredibly strong. You can get through this. We can." I tell her, and I wrap the blanket around her. 

The doctor soon comes back in with another slip of paper. "The only treatment centre's that could help her at this stage, are in America." He says, handing me the paper with the numbers to call. "What?" I ask him, not understanding what he's saying. "You have to go America to get your mum help. There's no other place to go." He informs me, shrugging his shoulders. "Sorry." He says before exiting the room.

Mum sighs and looks at me again, "Mum we're going. I will give the world to help you. If that means moving to America then so be it. You will get help." I whisper to her. She shakes her head no, "You can't leave everything you know here." She tells me. "I would mum, for you."

"No. Take me to America, help me into a treatment centre and go home right after you drop me off. I can stay there alone. I can do it baby, don't worry about me." My mum says in the loudest voice she can, which is a fragile whisper. 

"Mum.." I say, starting to cry. "No Claire, you will not cry, you will be brave. You're right, I raised a beautiful young woman and you can do this too." She says, grasping my hand. "Now go home, pack me some bags, and buy 2 airline tickets, then come check me out of this darn hospital." Mum says, shooing me off and trying to smile. "I love you."  I tell her, and sprint out of the hospital. 

As I drive home I text Harry, "Going to America... be back in ... idk how long. xxx " I start to cry at the thought of leaving the UK. Just recently has it felt like my life was coming together, even though at some points it felt terrible. 

"What?! No! I'm coming! Where are you?? .xx - Harry" He texts back. "I'm coming back don't worry! It might be a while, maybe a week but I'm coming home! xx" I text him, and put my phone in the empty seat next to me.

I want to text Niall and tell him what's happening, but I know it means nothing to him. He's probably making out with a random girl right now while getting drunk. 

Once I get home I pack all of my mum's stuff into 3 suitcases, she's never had much. My stuff is already packed in my suitcase next to the door. I put all of the stuff in the backseat of the car. I jog over to the neighbors house and ask them if they can take care of Max for a while. The woman agrees, and I give her 200 pounds. 

I hug max, and give him to the woman. "Thank you." I say to her as I pull out of the garage. 

At the hospital I sign papers to check my mum out of the hospital, and soon enough they release her. "Mum I haven't called any of the places yet, but I will as we drive. We can get the airline tickets when we get to the airport. I didn't want to take longer than needed." I say, as I drive towards the airport.

"Thank you dear, you know mumma loves you. Want you to drop me off at a treatment centre and leave, immediately. Don't spend any extra time in America. Go home and continue on with your life. I will call you often." She whispers, and leans her seat back. I nod, "Yes mummy." 

I hold back my much needed sobs, as I drive. If she can stay brave, so can I.

Once at the airport, I help my mum into the infamous uncomfortable airport chairs. "I'm going to call some places." I tell my mum as I stand up and walk toward a silent area.

I call 3 different places before one finally agrees to accept my mum, the price isn't as much as I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, it's still incredibly expensive. 

"New York?" I repeat into the phone for confirmation. "Yes." The kind woman tells me, I thank her and hang up. I run over to buy two tickets to New York and I run back to my mum. "New York I guess." I whisper to her, and hold her hand. She smiles at me weakly, "Thank you Claire." 

The happiness she still managed to squeeze out of her small, meek body was incredible. She was a fighter.

"Flight 4 to New York is now boarding." Someone over the intercom announces. I help my mother up and I take our things to the plane. 

"I'll give them our visa when we get there, I didn't forget to pack it mum." I reassure, as she starts to speak. I knew exactly what she was going to say already.

I sigh, "Let's do this." 

**

What the?! Mum has cancer?! Going to America?! What's going on!!

I don't know much about moving and visas but just roll with it! 

We're getting closer to the end of the story AH :( Maybe 10+ more pages?! Orr do you guys want more? Let me know! 

I ended my other story much sooner than I know you guys wanted, so PLEASE, tell me if you want this one to be longer! (How many pages more??) 

Love you, let me know what you think! xx

**