s e v e n

BRUCE
I laid my head back onto the armrest, allowing for my body to relax as I focused my eyes onto the ceiling right above me. The air coming from the vents made me calm my nerves. The lack of noise in the room made it easy for me to take my mind off pressure.

I wouldn't say it was at ease, but it was something. Something better than nothing. And the fact that things weren't going smooth at all had me wondering if there was anything that I could do to fix any of this. Just knowing what Dr. McGee told us, it played with my mind. I needed to rest. I knew that for sure.

Tereny told me she wanted some alone time upstairs so I just ran her some bathwater and threw in a few baths salts that hadn't been used since the last time she'd been at home and in a good mood.

I yawned, thinking long and hard about falling asleep with her in the tub. Honest to God, I didn't wanna treat Tereny like a prisoner, but I just couldn't trust in instincts right at the moment. Not until she got the meds that she needed back into her system.

I stayed back at the pharmacy and talked with the tender a little more. She told me to give Tereny's doctor that prescribed the medicine to her to let them know what had went on and they would possibly give her more as a one time only thing. So I was for sure gonna call somebody tomorrow morning. She assured me that everything was going to be okay. And I hope and pray that everything becomes just that.

I let out a deep sigh and closed my eyes for a moment. That's when I had realized that I hadn't given my body the proper time to heal.

I've been so concerned about Tereny's well being that I never got a chance to follow up with a doctor about me. Hell, I forgot everything that was told to me by the doctor who'd done my surgery.

I mean, I could still be walking around with cancer in me and I wouldn't even know because I'm being so careless with my needs. Shaking my head, I open my eyes and look around the room.

As bad as I wanted to sleep, I just couldn't. I didn't feel safe sleeping. Not that I was unsafe, but I felt unsafe for my wife.

Getting up from the sofa, I stretch out and hustle up the stairs and into my bedroom. The bathroom door was shut closed. I attempt to open it gently, but failed when the doorknob wouldn't twist any farther. She locked the door.

I started panicking, so I put my ear to the door to see if I could hear something. When I didn't hear anything, that's when I started trying to twist the doorknob again. I pushed on the door and was unsuccessful at pushing it open.

"TERENY!" I shouted.

She didn't answer me.

I rushed on one side of the room, farthest from the door and paced myself. This was going to make or break me. Right now, I was praying that it would make me and not break me.

Taking a deep breath, I sucked in air and started to run in full force towards the door. There was wind and opportunity and right at that moment, the wind was getting the best of me. I hadn't ran this fast in years.

As I made it close to the door, I used my shoulder to ram into the door, knocking the door from off of the hinges.

Inside of the bathroom, I looked towards the Jacuzzi tub to find Tereny. When I didn't see her sitting up inside of it, I rushed over and looked inside, finding her down underneath the water, laying there as if she were resting. Almost as if laying underneath water was normal.

I reached into the tub and pulled the stopper from out of the Jacuzzi and leaned over to grab Tereny up from underneath the water.

Unsuccessful at grabbing her up, I kick my shoes off and stepped into the tub, grabbing her up. I brush her hair back from out of her face. Her eyes shot open and she spat out water, choking and coughing.